Meraki MX vulnerable to TPM-FAIL side channel attack?

SOLVED
Austin
Here to help

Meraki MX vulnerable to TPM-FAIL side channel attack?

Hello, is anyone familiar enough with the Meraki internals to tell me if the MX devices are vulnerable to the newly discovered TPM-FAIL side channel attack? It's a timing attack against Intel's fTPM software-based TPM solution (CVE-2019-11090) and STMicroelectronics' ST33 TPM chip (CVE-2019-16863) that allows an attacker to guess the 256-bit private keys based on elliptic curve 25519, purely based on the response time from VPN device to clients. 

Here is an article about the vulnerabilities. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nash
Kind of a big deal

5 REPLIES 5
Nash
Kind of a big deal

I would contact support regarding this issue.

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Meraki does post some stuff like this here:

https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/cisco-meraki-customer-advisories/

But not everything always goes there. Usually when Cisco discloses lately they include Meraki in those announcements. I don't see anything from Cisco announced yet. 

So for now @Nash has it right, contact support if you need an answer sooner rather than later. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>elliptic curve 

I would be surprised if Meraki used elliptic curve algorithyms.  Meraki don't tend to use "newer" encryption algorithyms.  I used the word "newer" very loosly.  It's not that new.

Hello @jdsilva, that's a great resource. Thanks for pointing it out. 

Austin
Here to help

I contacted Meraki Support, as @Nash recommended, and received the following good news.

Good morning,

Thanks for contacting Cisco Meraki Support!  I would be happy to assist you with this.

We do not use either of those chips, so the MX devices are not vulnerable to the attack. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels