Meraki MX USB Modem Compatibility

Solved
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki MX USB Modem Compatibility

I'll soon be fitting out a site with a new MX75 and am investigating options for a 4G backup.

I'm aware that Meraki had a compatibility matrix here for supported modems but it seems like the list has been removed.

3G/4G Cellular Failover with USB Modems - Cisco Meraki

Is this a push for people to purchase their MG product instead?

Additionally, does the MX enforce that only listed USB modems will work, or is it just a list of tested and verified compatibility?

1 Accepted Solution
Paul_H
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Yo, @Brash !

Good catch and solid homework for standing up a new site!

Meraki was truly limited on the information USB modems were sending to us (via USB) and a lot of times if there was a change made by the carrier to the USB modem, we wouldn't know and would have to play catch up! So, the list of modems we previously had we made good partnerships so that there would be open communication. 

**HOWEVER** The previous list of approved modems are all End of Sale and for the most part the manufacturer no longer supports them, so naturally, it's a bit hard for us to support them as they're basically a bit of a black box to us!

--> MG on the other hand .... 😉 

--> MX USB modem enforcement is not a thing - but caution: No Guaranteed support

Good luck with the new site! Hopefully it has stacks and stacks of MS... and MRs all over the place... MT to monitor some temp/water/leak... oh and don't forget MV for physical security! ...maybe some SM on all them ios devices? O:) 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Paul_H
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Yo, @Brash !

Good catch and solid homework for standing up a new site!

Meraki was truly limited on the information USB modems were sending to us (via USB) and a lot of times if there was a change made by the carrier to the USB modem, we wouldn't know and would have to play catch up! So, the list of modems we previously had we made good partnerships so that there would be open communication. 

**HOWEVER** The previous list of approved modems are all End of Sale and for the most part the manufacturer no longer supports them, so naturally, it's a bit hard for us to support them as they're basically a bit of a black box to us!

--> MG on the other hand .... 😉 

--> MX USB modem enforcement is not a thing - but caution: No Guaranteed support

Good luck with the new site! Hopefully it has stacks and stacks of MS... and MRs all over the place... MT to monitor some temp/water/leak... oh and don't forget MV for physical security! ...maybe some SM on all them ios devices? O:) 

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Thanks mate.

I figured that was the case but wanted to confirm I wouldn't be stuck in the water if I did buy a USB modem.

You'll be glad to know that there will definitely be MS and MRs scattered around the site. 😉

No MT's and MV's yet but never out of the question.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels