Meraki MX 100 -Client VPN- No Internet for some users

Solved
Q313
Here to help

Meraki MX 100 -Client VPN- No Internet for some users

Hello community,

Today I face an issue with Meraki Client VPN. 

Appears a handful of users, not all users, lose internet connectivity once connected to Client VPN.  I've no complex policies in place amongst the user community and no per user settings from a Meraki stance.  I suspect some Windows update or something similar may be in play here, but I'm still reviewing that. 

If I have an impact user deselect "use remote gateway" in IPv4 settings, they maintain connectivity but now have no routing available to get to various networks.

Its difficult to troubleshoot remotely due to connection loss.  Once VPN is established end users impacted lose Outlook client, RDP, etc.  Walking through various tasks for more info (tracert, route print, ping, etc.) is ...challenging.

Again, its not all users that are impacted.  Those that are working can disconnect/reconnect and have no issues at all (myself included).

Any one else seeing this currently?  Or has experienced this?  Or any ideas?

thanks again

Q313

1 Accepted Solution

Turns out it was the Dell Optimizer application that was installed on the end user laptops.  Uninstalling this application allowed access to be restored.  

Found this (Solved: Re: Device/user loses Internet access after connecting to Client VPN - The Meraki Community)

Strange thing is, they hadn't actually ever run the application to optimize anything.

It was on the welcome/get started screen.

Even stranger... just about all users have this app installed apparently (including my laptop). So out of 150 users, 5 experienced this issue but I have no idea why these users in particular.

Resolved at this time.

Hope this helps someone and thank you again alemabrahao.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you enabled Client VPN in auto VPN?

This way you will receive the routes even without enabling the default gateway.

1000019353.jpg

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

I dont appear to have that as an option it seems.

I'm using IPSEC configuration on my end.

My header appears different than yours even...

Q313_0-1717076280655.png

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's on Security & SD-WAN > Configure > Site-to-site VPN > VPN settings

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Got it, that's enabled on my end as well.

Q313_0-1717077457369.png

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Run the route print command and it is valid if you are receiving the routes. If not, you can try to add it manually, or it could be something on the user's machine.

In this case, you can try updating the system to the latest updates.

Much appreciated.  I'm on with a user now and I think it may actually be an update.  I will update this thread once we figure it out.  Thank you again.

Turns out it was the Dell Optimizer application that was installed on the end user laptops.  Uninstalling this application allowed access to be restored.  

Found this (Solved: Re: Device/user loses Internet access after connecting to Client VPN - The Meraki Community)

Strange thing is, they hadn't actually ever run the application to optimize anything.

It was on the welcome/get started screen.

Even stranger... just about all users have this app installed apparently (including my laptop). So out of 150 users, 5 experienced this issue but I have no idea why these users in particular.

Resolved at this time.

Hope this helps someone and thank you again alemabrahao.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels