Meraki Client VPN not connecting on Ethernet only

SOLVED
FranklinHeukerg
Here to help

Meraki Client VPN not connecting on Ethernet only

I have a bit of an ugly issue with a Windows 10 computer connected to Meraki VPN. I will start by saying I would like to avoid re-imaging the machine for our client. 

The VPN connects successfully using the wireless adapter.

When attempting to connect using the ethernet adapter, connection stuck at connecting.

Event viewer displays an oh so helpful Code: 0 in the rasphone.exe event log.

I have reset TCP/IP stack.

I have reinstalled the ethernet adapter using new drivers.

I have turned off the windows firewall.

I have verified private network profile.

I have almost lost my mind.

I have tested the VPN successfully from another Windows 10 computer on another network, wired and wireless.

Everything is DHCP, with the exception of Cisco Umbrella client owning the DNS; but nothing has changed with Umbrella prior to this breaking.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I thank you all for your suggestions on this matter. The VPN connection began working on ethernet only after I performed the 'Network Reset' withing Settings > Network & Internet. I do know this re-installs all network adapters and deletes any VPN connections created but I will need to do a little research in what all this 'Network Reset' configures. If anyone has anything to add, I would greatly appreciate it. Again, thank you.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
fdklaus
New here

Hello,

With everything that you've tried - the only thing you haven't tried is replacing the NIC card itself. Is it possible the hardware is faulty?

I would at least try that prior to going any further.

Have you tried @Nash 's VPN scripts? Just to make sure that it's not the GUI bugs messing with you?

https://github.com/gammacapricorni/happy-meraki-client-vpn

See also this:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/821b5675-743b-4d52-87a4-3f5491c122f3/vpn-connectio...

Thank you for the link to those scripts! I do set this particular connection as split tunnel, just having trouble with the initial connectivity. On to testing.... 

I forgot to note that this was a laptop. 😕 I will say that the ethernet adapter does function, no issues communicating with the local network. No problems communicating out to the internet.

Also, what kind of laptop is it? It seems like these people are having a similar although reversed problem:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c890e33c-b883-43a9-9d1a-5fe30e59edf1/vpn-l2tp-ipse...

The solution for them was to disable the SmartByte or the Killer Wireless Suite.

I thank you all for your suggestions on this matter. The VPN connection began working on ethernet only after I performed the 'Network Reset' withing Settings > Network & Internet. I do know this re-installs all network adapters and deletes any VPN connections created but I will need to do a little research in what all this 'Network Reset' configures. If anyone has anything to add, I would greatly appreciate it. Again, thank you.

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Reset IP stack are you meaning (netsh int ip reset?) Did you reboot after that?

Also check Xbox Live Networking Service is off.

Try using rasphone.exe (Windows Built-In) when testing. 

There are a bunch of things it could be or things to try to help narrow the issue. My thought is if it works on a different Windows 10 device wired/wireless on a different network and it works on wireless on this laptop, then maybe it is a wired network issue and not a Client VPN issue. Can you check settings on the working wired network vs not working one?

I do mean 'netsh' reset on the stack and reboot.

I will check the wired settings and see what I can find.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels