MX95 running MX 18.208 Problem changing single WAN1 Uplink speed

Solved
RWelch
Getting noticed

MX95 running MX 18.208 Problem changing single WAN1 Uplink speed

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 12.44.40.png

Is there a requirement to enable the BACKUP WAN and configure this unused WAN in order to change the WAN1 ISP speed?

Seems a bit odd that it won’t allow me to change the WAN1 configuration (upload/download) until such time that I configure the backup WAN that’s not being used.

Thanks for any feedback you have to 
share.

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That sounds like a bug.  I would open  support case on it.

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This version is not stable yet.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

When you say not stable, do you mean because it is a 'stable release candidate' and not under the 'stable' column, or do you mean the firmware is buggy and has lots of issues and its not 'reliable/stable' in that regard.

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Both, I am personally very cautious with new versions of MX as I have faced several problems in the past, which is why there is a LAB network to carry out validations.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
RWelch
Getting noticed

Agree.  Perhaps in documentation somewhere it should include that one should enable WAN3 in order to be able to configure upload/download on WAN1 or 2.  At the present time, I have a downlink on this particular port at a remote site which presents a problem.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you using sfp+ port or ethernet?

What bandwidth did you set it to?

RWelch
Getting noticed

@ww Copper ethernet WAN1 is the single ISP connection that I attempted to adjust the bandwidth.  It doesn't accept any change until such time that WAN3 has been configured.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What speed did you try to set?

You also cant enable wan3 backup port because the normal wan must then connect to the sfp+ port

RWelch
Getting noticed

It won't accept any changes regardless of what speed I set it to because WAN3 has NOT been configured.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In dont see the same issue, i can confige wan1 and wan2 slider without issue without having backup port enabled

Does setting both the silder of wan1 and wan2 to any speed below 2.5Gb still give the error?

RWelch
Getting noticed

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 13.55.25.png

 I get the same error whether adjusting via slider or manual entry.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That sounds like a bug.  I would open  support case on it.

Thanks @PhilipDAth I decided to go back to 18.107.9 instead.

I too don't see the issue on any model MX I have here running 18.208.1 (both with and without backup WAN enabled). As @PhilipDAth mentioned a Support case would be the best option here. If you happen to upgrade back to 18.2 and still see it I'd definitely get a case opened. 

@Ryan_Miles Thank you - will do (if I go back to 18.208).

@Ryan_Miles I have 11 total MX appliances in 4 organizations....that lone MX95 was the only one that I had any issues or problems with changing the WAN speed.  All are running 18.208 except for my MX105.  

Hmm, super weird. Some times errors like that can pop up when it runs into some validation routine against other config elements (which could even be on other pages). But without being able to actively troubleshoot I'm just making educated guesses. 

I'm wondering if it's because I have a MX95 VPN concentrator behind this particular MX95?

And to test it - I did go back to 18.208.1.  Still won't allow me to change WAN1 ISP speed.

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Not sure if it helps but I found an article since this is all technically new with 18.208

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MultiWAN_Backup_Uplink

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

@RWelch  If I'm looking at the correct MX95 in your inventory is was the WAN 1 interface speed/duplex set from the local status page of the MX to 1 gig full?

Just tested on my MX75 and that doesn't seem to matter. So never mind on that thought.

@Ryan_Miles it's always been set from the dashboard (as far as I can remember).

@Ryan_Miles thanks for looking into it - for now I'll stick with 18.107.9 at least for this MX.  Appreciate everyone's feedback.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Did you get a resolution for this issue? I'm seeing it on an MX95 and the issue has persisted even after a downgrade back to 18.107 firmware. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
RWelch
Getting noticed

@MRCUR Not completely....I've settled for running the following:

Running 18.107.9 on:

One MX65W

Two MX95

One MX105

Running 18.208.0.1 on

One MX68W

Six MX75

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels