MX85 - crash logs

Solved
Volcomer
Here to help

MX85 - crash logs

We have a setup of 2 MX85's in hot spare, that has worked just fine for about a year and a half now. Recently the primary has started crashing for no apparent reason about once a week, not logging VRRP transition and rebooting. This causes a short, but annoying, outage for the entire building while we wait for the spare to pick up the slack. When the Primary comes back up the VRRP transition back to primary works seamlessly without any outage. 

I am trying to find out why it crashes, and maybe how to remedy this, but I can't find any crashlog or system log at all, and the eventlogs for the device are just blank during this timeframe, so it's like it never happened. Are there really no system logs we can get a hold of to find out why a device crashed?

1 Accepted Solution
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The dashboard event logs are typically pretty bare bones.

You can get a bit more info by logging to a syslog server, but for something like this, you're best off logging a case with support who can usually pull up the details and logging of a crash from the backend.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You need to open a support case.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The problem is the Support Data Bundle from the local status page has to be downloaded before the reboot.

You could try setting up a syslog server.

Or maybe set the standby as primary.

But i would create a meraki case and maybe they can replace the device

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The dashboard event logs are typically pretty bare bones.

You can get a bit more info by logging to a syslog server, but for something like this, you're best off logging a case with support who can usually pull up the details and logging of a crash from the backend.

SnarkySharky
New here

We're also experiencing this and opened a support case.  This is a known issue the development team is investigating.  You should open a support request as well so the issue gets prioritized.

cnuc
New here

We do have the same issue with an MX85 customer appliance which is crashing once a week, tested with several firmware versions. Meraki support told us, that this is a known issue and that there is currently no fix.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels