MX85 WAN2 Won't Connect.

official_damo
Comes here often

MX85 WAN2 Won't Connect.

Hello,

My client has an MX85 with the 2x copper WAN ports used for redundant internet services, both are enterprise static IP services.

The WAN2 port has never worked, after some troubleshooting I determined the carriage service is operating fine and the Meraki config is correct. We reconnected the service to Meraki and, as before, we see the physical port UP but no layer3 connectivity (Status: Not connected).

I raised this with support and was told "There is a know issue about the WAN 2 of the Mx85 that deliver PoE power to an un-PoE device."

Has anyone come across this issue before? It seems odd to me that there is a 'known issue' which prevents this device from performing a primary function and it needs be sent to R&D for a fix, it's also concerning (if true) that the issue was already known and a fix was not being worked on.

Interested to hear other peoples experience, this is the only MX85 I manage so I have no frame of reference.

2 Replies 2
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What firmware version are you running?

I have multiple MX85's running 17.10.x and 18.107.x versions with both WAN ports online.

Other than that;

Do you have any SFP's plugged into the SFP ports?

When you statically assign the IP address, can you reach your assigned default gateway?

If you do a packet capture, do you see the packets leaving the MX?

Firmware: MX 18.107.2.

No SFPs.

I cannot ping the gateway as the port shows as not connected.

I can't perform a capture as the interface is no shown in the list.

If I connect another device to the providers equipment the service works fine.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels