MX84 how many wan ports we can setup?

SOLVED
jmc4str0
Here to help

MX84 how many wan ports we can setup?

Hello, I want to know if we can configure more than 2 wan ports, I didn't find any information related to the ports and the options we have. The client have a MX-84 and this model have 2 internet ports + 8 LAN ports + 2 SFP port. And they have 4 internet services, there is any option to use the other ports for wan connections? 

Regards,

JC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Really keen to understand why they require 4 ISP's? Why not look at consolidating this down two 2 ISP's and a cellular/LTE provider?

I.E

WAN 1 - Static IP ISP

WAN 2 - Dynamic IP ISP

USB - Cellular/LTE ISP

If you want to get really funky, why not look at adding an HA MX arrangement and using dual services from each ISP on the secondary HA MX.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Mr_IT_Guy
A model citizen

Hi @jmc4str0,

As far as I know, you can only have 2 WAN ports on the MX84.

Yes, I have the same information, but I want to know if there is no possibility of using the other 8 ports.

Regards,

JC.
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Only two ports are supported as WAN interfaces. I don't believe any of the MX models support more than two WAN interfaces. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What is your specific use case?  Three ISPs, or does this also involve an MPLS WAN (or WANs)?

All Meraki MX's only support a maximum of 2 "WAN" ports. It would be great to find your use case/need as per @PhilipDAth's comment above to see if we can assist you in achieving your architecture.

Hello, 

Thanks to all for the answers, the client have 4 ISPs (2 are dynamic and 2 static IP). We are thinking to use the two ports for internet and set up 2 LAN ports on mode access and put the static IP. Should it work?

Regards,

JC.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That wont work (assuming that two of them are not 4G USB sticks).

😕 I thought so.I will be doing some tests in February because the campus remain closed until first week of that month. Once I configured the equipment I will commento to you.

Many thanks,

JC.

Really keen to understand why they require 4 ISP's? Why not look at consolidating this down two 2 ISP's and a cellular/LTE provider?

I.E

WAN 1 - Static IP ISP

WAN 2 - Dynamic IP ISP

USB - Cellular/LTE ISP

If you want to get really funky, why not look at adding an HA MX arrangement and using dual services from each ISP on the secondary HA MX.

Because it's what they have now, but in the next 5 months, the will be change the service for two, and each one from different provider.

Sorry, I know that it's "dead time" but the client ask if for the moment he could remain the actual configuration. 

I really appreciate your opinion.

Thanks.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The only way I can think of to maintain the configuration of 4 ISPs is to buy 4 MX's.  How keen are they?

Hello WANKiller,

Please is there another workaround you can propose as I have noticed that this thread is close to 2 years old.

We have 3 ISP and 1 MPLS in our case. What is the most cost-effective technical workaround?

For example; Sub-interfaces or using downlink ports to terminate the connection.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could connect the MPLS via a router VLAN and then connect two ISPs via the WAN ports.

You will need to consolidate the 3 ISPs down to 2 ISPs.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels