MX84 IP address assignment and NAT statement

SOLVED
Ryan5
New here

MX84 IP address assignment and NAT statement

Hello,

If I change the routing to not use vlans, so I can assign a IP address, what interface is the LAN config assigning the IP to?

Also, if I move my layer 2 networks off my MX84 to a core switch, which is directly connected, I just need to point a static route to it? Do I need to create a source NAT rule, since I will be moving the networks to something not directly connected?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Ryan5 on an MX you don't assign a LAN IP to a physical interface.  The IPs are assigned to VLAN interfaces and these can be assigned to physical interfacea, when you put an MX in single LAN mode the IP is assigned to the default (only) VLAN and is available on all active physical interfaces.

As for the routing, if you have LAN subnets not directly connected then you need to add them as static routes on the MX and point to the next device in the chain.  From that device you need to add a route to say the MXs networks are available through the IP you assign to the LAN.  If your internet access it via the MX then just set a default route from the other device pointing to the LAN IP of the MX.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Ryan5 on an MX you don't assign a LAN IP to a physical interface.  The IPs are assigned to VLAN interfaces and these can be assigned to physical interfacea, when you put an MX in single LAN mode the IP is assigned to the default (only) VLAN and is available on all active physical interfaces.

As for the routing, if you have LAN subnets not directly connected then you need to add them as static routes on the MX and point to the next device in the chain.  From that device you need to add a route to say the MXs networks are available through the IP you assign to the LAN.  If your internet access it via the MX then just set a default route from the other device pointing to the LAN IP of the MX.

Does the egress traffic out of the MX automatically NAT to the WAN1 IP or do I have to put in a dynamic NAT statement for any network off the core?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It will auto NAT any LAN subnets that it knows about, so yes.  You cannot make it use a separate public IP, in the way you can on some other firewalls.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels