MX80 - Internet Bandwidth Exceeding Limits

Solved
Mike_Welker
Comes here often

MX80 - Internet Bandwidth Exceeding Limits

I have an MX 80 that has been deployed for quite some time, and has happilly been chugging along with a 100Mbps Up/Down WAN connection.  We are in the process of Upgrading our connection to 500Mbps, and our ISP is ready to "flip the switch" to this bandwidth.

That said, the MX80 is only capable of 250Mbps.  We have an MX84 on the way, but it won't be here and deployed for some time.

My question is, if I set the MX80 to "max" bandwidth of 250Mbps, and our ISP enables the upgraded connection, I presume that the MX80 will still work, but simply be at it's own software bandwidth limit.  I see no reason it would fail to route traffic properly, but I need to confirm this with the community.  Effectively, we would just be "wasting" our extra bandwidth until the MX84 arrives, correct?

If it will result in dropped packets altogether (I assume TCP would be fine, but UDP/ streaming could be affected), I will tell our ISP to hold off.

1 Accepted Solution
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

You are correct

Nothing will break (unless your IP Addresses are changing if your using statics?), and your MX80 will still work, and it will max itself out (software or hardware, not sure honestly) and you basically just won't get more than 250Mbps.

When you install the MX84, you'll see the bump in performance on the WAN circuit. Make sure that slider bar is set to MAX, sometimes it keeps the old MX config (250 in this case).

I don't think you'll have any issues with dropping anything personally.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

You are correct

Nothing will break (unless your IP Addresses are changing if your using statics?), and your MX80 will still work, and it will max itself out (software or hardware, not sure honestly) and you basically just won't get more than 250Mbps.

When you install the MX84, you'll see the bump in performance on the WAN circuit. Make sure that slider bar is set to MAX, sometimes it keeps the old MX config (250 in this case).

I don't think you'll have any issues with dropping anything personally.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels