MX68W VPN PPTP passthrough with port 1723

alexhend75
New here

MX68W VPN PPTP passthrough with port 1723

Hi All

Our comms provider has installed a new leased line in our premises.  Part of the contract is a Meraki MX68W appliance and a managed service, which means that any port forwarding requests are given to the provider, and they make the necessary changes.

We are using an elderly SBS 2011 server, which uses PPTP VPN.  We are planning to get this replaced in the next few months as it's out of support, but I need to get the VPN working in the meantime.

I put in the request to the provider to open up port 1723 and enable PPTP passthrough through GRE and IP port 43.

I got an email back advising that the MX68W doesn't support GRE, only NAT-T, which I'm not familiar with (and I doubt SBS 2011 is either)  

I did find this link though.....

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Other_Topics/Using_VPN_through_an_MX_Security_Appliance

It seems to suggest that when port 1723 is opened, GRE is also enabled.  Does anyone know if this applies to the MX68W?  As far as I know they haven't tried opening up port 1723 yet.  Should it work ok if they do this?

Many thanks

Alex

2 Replies 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Just ask them to forward tcp/1723.

You could also ask them to enable client VPN on the MX68 and authenticate it against your AD controller.  Then you could use L2TP over IPSec (built into pretty much every platform) for your VPN client.

Thank you very much for your input, forwarding port 1723 alone worked fine!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels