MX68 Cellular issues

Rich_Mckevitt
Just browsing

MX68 Cellular issues

Hi,

I am experiencing the following issue and was hoping someone may help understand!.

1. I have installed some MX68CW's in various locations.  Connected to the WAN and everything looks good on the Meraki Dash. 

2. We have left the MX's connected to existing MS120's on Port 3 on the MX but have disabled the port.

3. Once the WAN is removed if the cellular signal is good that is great. The issue am seeing is where there is no cellular/very poor signal and dropping, the MS which is running the AP's is somehow seeing the MX as a DHCP Server and therefore broadcasting an IP range that devices are picking up but shouldnt be as the Port 3 on the MX is disabled?

All I can assume is that somehow the Meraki Dash is opening Port 3 in the backgroud?  We know that if we power down the MX or remove the cable from Port 3 the devices connect straight back to the correct IP's

Cheers

Rich

4 Replies 4
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Do you have a diagram showing the topology? I'm not following what you mean by MX is connected to the MS, but the MX LAN port is disabled. 

Ryan / Meraki SE

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solved your problem click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
Rich_Mckevitt
Just browsing

Hi Ryan,

I cant seem to attach anything on here sorry.  What we have set up is a Store Network 10.x.x.x.  On this sits the MS120 with various devices running from this such as MR33 AP's etc.  On port 5 on the MS we have a Cable attached to the MX68 on Port 3.

The MX device is on another Meraki Network (192.168.0.1/24) and the idea is should our main circuit on 10.x.x.x go down we would power off the main router and enable Port 3 on the MX68 which if it had cellular would take over.  In this case the MX is struggling with cellular.  So before any of this happens somehow the MX68 is handing out DHCP addresses to devices connected to the AP's on the MS120 - even though the Port 3 on the MX is disabled?

We have this exact set up in other locations and are not seeing the same issues, the difference being that these have good cellular signal.  We are making assumptions that where we have no cellular the MX is somehow connecting to the MS but we cant see any logs as to how or why.

Hope this makes sense!!

Rich

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You might want to open a Support case so they can look into a specific site with this issue to find the root cause. It sounds like it could possibly be something like the MX is reverting to its last known good config if it's having issues with dashboard connectivity. Just a guess though. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Behavior_during_Conne...

Ryan / Meraki SE

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solved your problem click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
Rich_Mckevitt
Just browsing

Many thanks for the reply - I will take a look at the link and go from there

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels