MX65 slow mbps

RobertDitusa
Comes here often

MX65 slow mbps

I am currently testing the MX65. Right now when connecting directly to the ISP modem we get 150mbps download. This corresponds with the plan we have.

When I connect to the MX65 I am getting only 50mbps download.

I am assuming there is some restriction somewhere on the device in the settings that I can not find.

The traffic shaping is set to 250. Not sure if there are any other settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

31 REPLIES 31
MacuserJim
A model citizen

What are you using for your speed test (device type/tool)? Also have you tried whitelisting that device on the MX65 to make sure there aren't any rules from the MX being applied to it?

I am just running an online speed test. I tried different online test tools. Do you have any recommendation? I can try to white list the device i am testing on. I really only have one device plugged in right now.

I generally use speedtest.net. I really just wanted to see if you were using the built in throughput tool on the MX, it isn't the most accurate tool is why. I would suggest whitelisting that client and doing a speed test to help rule out any accidental configuration setting that may be impacting throughput.

I just whitelist the device but still the same. Yes i am using speedtest.net right now.

I do see the light on the front of the device blinking white. Does that mean anything?

Should it be solid?

Flashing white means it's doing a firmware upgrade. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Installation_Guides/MX65_Installation_Guide

Maybe let it finish then try again. How long have you had it set up?

It was running all last night. Maybe there is something wrong? Its weird on the dashboard it says firmware is up to date but when connected directly to it using the setup.meraki.com, It shows on the bottom as 25%. But i had it running all night. Seems like there is something wrong. I can try resetting it.

Just an update. I have got a new unit from them and it fixed the firmware issue we had.
I am still getting slow mbps.

When i plug into the cable modem directly it works great. When going from the merkai device i can barley get over 50 mbps. Anyone have an other suggestions. I checked the uplink config and everything is set to 250Mbs for both WAN ports.

If anyone else has any suggestions that would be great.

Can you provide a screenshot of how you have the SD-WAN & traffic shaping page set please

Also, are you doing this hardwired or over wireless?
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Sure. Everything is hardwired. I have nothing else plugged in. It goes from the modem to the MX65. Then i have one cable going from port 4 to a computer. That's all that is connected.  I checked these settings. I believe everything is correct in here. Is there any other settings that could effect this? Thanks for the help.

maraki1.PNGmaraki2.PNG

Are you only testing with that single PC machine? Do you have any others you can test with?

Does that computer have any group policy being applied to it?
TwitterLinkedIn

I have checked 2 machines. I have no group policy's set.
I have also checked it directly with the modem and I get my 150mbs download.
I can try another machine though.

Hmm

Do you have any security features enabled? AMP/IPS etc.
TwitterLinkedIn

Also I'm assuming there is no VPN going on right?

What version is the MX running on?
TwitterLinkedIn

I do have the vpn enable. I was testing that out before i found out the issue with the speed. In terms of anyone actually using it right now no.

Current version: MX 13.36

Is your speedtest running over the VPN or are you split-tunneling and its staying local?
TwitterLinkedIn

I am not connected to VPN when running the Speed test. I am local in my server room.

What I meant was, the MX65 is not doing an AutoVPN tunnel to a data center for example, and your speedtest is running over that.

Doesn't sound like it from what you have said though.

Hmm..this is an interesting one. Something must be slowing it down, but all the obvious choices seem to be fine.

What about upload? It the circuit synchronous (150 down and 150 up) or is your upload capped at like 10 or 20 mbps etc.
TwitterLinkedIn

Our set up here is 150 down and 35 upload right now. That's what our provider offers. Our upload seems to be fine.

Try running a throughput test directly from the MX itself

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Throughput_test_t...

TwitterLinkedIn

Yea i am getting 70Mbps.maraki3.PNG

Also, is there anything else that is using the MX? Or are you simply lab/testing it right now?

What I mean is, when you run these speedtests, is there any other traffic passing at the same time from a different FW or something through the ISP device?

Assuming your modem connects directly to the MX, and the MX is flying solo right now and nothing else is involved? Or does that modem have other devices connected that might be pushing traffic while your testing the speed? Probably not, just making sure 😃
TwitterLinkedIn

Go to 'Security & SD-WAN > Appliance Status > Summary'

Hover over the ports that are green, are they showing 1Gbps and Full Duplex ?

Like below image:

555555.JPG
TwitterLinkedIn

Yes I get that. But even if it was 100mbps it should go higher then 50. It should be capping at least 90.

Have you reached out to support yet? Feel free to give them a call, they will be able to review the MX configuration, otherwise I would just poke around at all the settings until I see the 'gotcha!'

I doubt it is a hardware issue, since you said they gave you a new unit, and the old and new one are both showing a cap at 50Mbps.

I was going to say maybe try the test at night when nobody is in the office, but by the sound of it, you've run it so many times that it can't be a coincidence.

If everything is connecting at 1Gbps Full Duplex, and you don't have any AMP/IPS/throttling/traffic-shaping/VPN features in use, then you should certainly be able to hit 150Mbps easily. Device won't have any problem with that speed.

Unless its some sort of cabling layer 1 issue (doubtful, but can't hurt to swap out the Ethernet cable, reboot the MX), I'm fresh out of ideas.

TwitterLinkedIn

Yes i opened up a ticket with them. I will try some different cables see if i see any issues. It must be a dumb setting that I am missing.

I appreciate your help thank you.

Hi there,

Just wondering how you went with this? We are having the same issue

What are you getting how slow? You have one device only plugged into the MX65?

I just opened a support case myself regarding this. I first noticed that I only  had 100Mb Full Duplex, thanks for that tip. Changed the network cable and got 1GB Full Duplex. Then it showed 250Mb download/upload with cable connected. Throughput in Live Tools is 370. Using the cable that is connected to the MX65 in Internet 1 gives 500/500 every time. 

So I am still wondering if it is normal that the MX65 takes this much of the capacity, when only one device is taking speed... will post if I get an answer from Meraki support. 

@JohnInge wrote:

I just opened a support case myself regarding this. I first noticed that I only  had 100Mb Full Duplex, thanks for that tip. Changed the network cable and got 1GB Full Duplex. Then it showed 250Mb download/upload with cable connected. Throughput in Live Tools is 370. Using the cable that is connected to the MX65 in Internet 1 gives 500/500 every time. 

So I am still wondering if it is normal that the MX65 takes this much of the capacity, when only one device is taking speed... will post if I get an answer from Meraki support. 

MX65 can only push around 250Mbps throughput as a hardware limitation.

See the sizing chart here:

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_whitepaper_mx_sizing_guide.pdf

That should be a limitation on the WAN interfaces, not LAN interfaces though if I'm reading it correctly.  So if you did say an iPerf test through two LAN ports it should go higher.

TwitterLinkedIn

Well we have a modem with 4 static IP address. 1 of the IP is set up to our current networks that goes to our fortinet firewall. So yes there is some other traffic. But it should not be much.
I even connected 1 port on the modem to 1 computer directly.
Then i connected another port on the modem to the mx65 then to another computer.
If i run 1 speed test right after eachother its still the same. Like to the modem i always get 150 down but on the computer connected to the mx65 still struggles to get above 50.
I have done this many times with the same result.

Not that I know of. I have been testing this out. I really haven't really changed any of the default settings besides some vlans But very basic.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels