MX65 as an SDWAN MPLS Broadband and LTE

TonySko
Conversationalist

MX65 as an SDWAN MPLS Broadband and LTE

forums members i have this question.  I am trying to see if the below proposed architecture is feasible on the MX65 appliance.  I am have many remote sites with 3 carrier options: 1) MPLS, 2) Broadband and 3) LTE.

1) MPLS will carry critical applications

2) Broadband will carry guest type WIFI traffic and not critical applications

3) LTE needs to be backup to the MPLS connection and establishing gre tunnels to clients database.

Is what i am suggesting easy to achieve using the MX65 on the spokes>?

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You have two options.  This is the first and easiest to deploy.  You simply route over MPLS, and can failover MPLS to VPN over the broadband circuit, and if that fails then failover to VPN over LTE.  Ditto with Internet access.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Deployment_Guides/MPLS_Failover_to_Meraki_Auto_VPN

This is the next option:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Site-to-site_VPN/Configuring_Site-to-site_VPN_over_MPLS

This allows you to use full SDN functionality.  You can use both the MPLS and VPN over broadband circuits at the same time, and your traffic policies define which traffic uses which path.

Philip on the second option you indicated which is the one i am leaning to can reroute the traffic from the mpls to the private wireless in the event of mpls circuit failure?
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Correct.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

General comment:  The LTE will only be used if no other WAN connections are available.  I don't believe it can be used actively if other WAN connections are available. 

Otherwise the config that @PhilipDAth suggested would make the most sense.  

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels