MX65 & MS120-8LP - Odd 'Clients' reporting on Dashboard

SOLVED
StingeyNinja
Getting noticed

MX65 & MS120-8LP - Odd 'Clients' reporting on Dashboard

I've got an MX65 (with the 2 WAN and 10 LAN switch ports onboard) and an MS120-8LP switch daisy-chained off it to provide more switch ports.  I'm only running a single VLAN and IP subnet, the MX is in 'Routed' mode and I have client tracking configured to use 'MAC Address' - which seems to be right as the MS120 is not a L3 switch, and it's the only option available in my Dashboard.

When I open the Dashboard > Network-Wide > Clients (Default filter: All clients), I seem to only see the clients that the MS120 switch is aware of.  Generally speaking the detected OS information is pretty accurate, but there is only very low amount of traffic ascribed to client devices that are attached to the MX's LAN ports (presumably just broadcasts).  If I click on any of these clients, the 'switch / port' value shows that they are connected to the MS120 port that is trunked to the MX65 - which is accurate from the switch's point of view, but odd for a network-wide view.

I have to change the filter on the Clients page to 'only security appliance clients' then I see those client devices correctly, but oddly the client details don't seem to be shared with the switch's clients, e.g.:

• I have renamed my clients to have informative names (like, 'Lounge Room PS3').  This view doesn't reflect those names, and just shows the MAC address
  • There is no topology information, so I have no idea which port on the MX65 these devices are connected to.
  • There is no cable test option, presumably because the MX65 is an entry-level appliance and doesn't really combine a full MS switch's functionality with the MX's security appliance software.
  • The OS information is much more accurate than the MS switch's client view, e.g. 'PlayStation 2' is now a 'PlayStation 3', 'Other' is now correctly identified as 'Windows 10' or 'Ruckus Wireless'.

Is this lack of network-wide (combined MX/MS) view of clients normal for the equipment combination I have?  Or have I stuffed something up?

Is the client OS guessing semantics different for the MX vs. MS?

It cetainly seems a bit misleading that the 'All' clients filter isn't really all of my client devices, which makes it much harder to get a true picture of a client devices usage and location in the switch port topology.

MX65 firmware: MX 14.40

MS120-8LP firmware: MS 11.31

I can post screenshots for examples if anyone is interested, as this is just my home lab environment.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When client is seen  on both mx and ms(in this case only some  broadcast traffic)  The "client: all"   only  shows  the user/client switch traffic in te list.  It shows only the traffic info of AP >switch>mx in this order

So for visibility on that page   its  best to not connect clients  to the mx when  combined.

It can help  to use a different vlan for access ports on the mx  and not trunk  this  vlan to the switch 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When client is seen  on both mx and ms(in this case only some  broadcast traffic)  The "client: all"   only  shows  the user/client switch traffic in te list.  It shows only the traffic info of AP >switch>mx in this order

So for visibility on that page   its  best to not connect clients  to the mx when  combined.

It can help  to use a different vlan for access ports on the mx  and not trunk  this  vlan to the switch 

Thanks ww.

At least this is expected behaviour, and not something I've done.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels