MX64 with non meraki cisco APs

SOLVED
Malik79
Conversationalist

MX64 with non meraki cisco APs

Hi,

Since i am new to meraki and this community. I have received meraki mx 64 FW that i need to install in my network. Configuring and installing mx64 is not an issue. I have cisco 2700 series APs and WLC 2500 series. My question is how would i configure mx 64 with 2700 series APs and 2500 series WLC. Would meraki dashboard allow to add these APs into network?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

No, you can't add them to the Meraki Dashboard. You have to configure them the same way you always have.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

No, you can't add them to the Meraki Dashboard. You have to configure them the same way you always have.

Malik79
Conversationalist

Thank you brother. This means i should just install mx64 after configuring it and leave other hardware (wlc and aps) and their configuration intact.

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

Correct, you will still need your Wireless Controller in place to manage the Cisco APs, at least until you move over to Meraki APs. Be aware that if you do move to Meraki APs you cannot bring those onto the Cisco controller and from experience Cisco and Meraki APs fight with each other in a mixed environment. 

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Malik79
Conversationalist

Thank you brother. Yes, I understand that. Thanks again for bringing me out of this confusion. 

Malik79
Conversationalist

This brings me to another scenario for which solution is required. My task is to configure MX 64 with WLC 2500 series and 2700 series APs. Ok, I understand WLC and APs would remain intact and keep on working as they are right now. My tasks include:

1- Bring WLC through FW (which in my case is MX64).

2- Configure two SSID's on WLC for office users and for guests (not an issue, that would be done).

3- Both networks should not interfere with each other. Ok, as far as office users are concerned, subnet is defined in MX64 for them. How and where would i define separate subnet for guest users when they connect to guest ssid network? confusion for me..

I'd be grateful for suggestion/solutions.

Thanks

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@Malik79 Sounds like you would want two different VLANs with different DHCP for each VLAN. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/DHCP/DHCP_Services

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels