MX64 with non Meraki switches

SOLVED
DanielP9
Here to help

MX64 with non Meraki switches

Hi,

I have a network built around one MX64, four MR18 and various TP-Link switches. I have not configured any VLANs on the MX64, everything is working fine but I understand the benefits of VLANs. The TP-Link SG series have options for 802.1Q VLAN and PVID. How likely is it that I will run into difficulties by mixing vendors? I also have a couple of dumb switches in the network. I am not in a position to replace any of the switches with Meraki ones at this time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DanielP9if all of your P-link switches support 802.1Q VLANs then you should be absolutely fine using them with Meraki MRs and the MX.  Just make sure that you have the same VLANs on each end of the link when trunking, with the same native VLAN.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

802.1Q has been an industry standard for ages now, from that standpoint there shouldn‘t be any connectivity issues on that end. Depending on how Vlans are configured for specific vendors, I guess there could be more trouble when it comes to configuration.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DanielP9if all of your P-link switches support 802.1Q VLANs then you should be absolutely fine using them with Meraki MRs and the MX.  Just make sure that you have the same VLANs on each end of the link when trunking, with the same native VLAN.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hey @DanielP9 , we often have to mix vendors due to customer budgets.

You’ll be fine.  Start from your MX, create your VLANs there and work your topology outwards.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
DanielP9
Here to help

Thanks for all the comments. Any thoughts on using a dumb switch between the MX64 and the TP-Links? 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels