cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX64 convert LAN port to WAN

SOLVED
Conversationalist

MX64 convert LAN port to WAN

I have an MX64 firewall with two WAN ports but i have three internet lines so i need a LAN port to work as a WAN

is it possible ? if yes, how ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Building a reputation

Re: MX64 convert LAN port to WAN

Unfortunately, no. The MX64 supports only two WAN interfaces.
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Building a reputation

Unfortunately, no. The MX64 supports only two WAN interfaces.
Conversationalist

thanks rbnielsen

I need to know that, are ALL MX don't support or there are some models can support converting LAN to WAN?
Building a reputation

The MX67C/MX68CW contains a 3G/4G modem which can be used for cellular failover (3rd WAN interface-ish).
Otherwise, no. All MX'es support only 2 WAN interfaces.
MX250 and up, have two dedicated ports. MX100 and below, has one dedicated port, and one shared, which can be converted.
Conversationalist

that's mean in MX64 I have one dedicated WAN port and one shared port.
does the shared port is a specific port or any one of the 4 ports can be converted ?
and is there any unexpected issue can happen when converting the port from LAN to WAN?
Building a reputation

On the MX64, only LAN4 can be converted to WAN, and requires access to the Local Status Page, inorder to conver the port.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Installation_Guides/MX64_Installation_Guide#Setting_up_secondary...)
A model citizen

There is definitely no method of using more than two wired WAN's on nay of the MX line

We did a rollout earlier this month on 5 remote sites which have three WAN's (2 x Data and 1 x VOIP) we had to use a Z3 for the VOIP lines

Conversationalist

Great

but, after converting the port, can I load balance traffic that is going to the internet between the dedicated WAN port and the converted port.
A model citizen

You can indeed - it becomes a normal WAN port so the device has dual WAN
Conversationalist

that's good
thanks for all of you @Nick & @rbnielsen

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.