MX64 access to router

xeg12
Just browsing

MX64 access to router

I have an MX64 which connects to the internet via a PlusNet fibre VDSL router on the WAN port.

I used to be able to access the web management foe the PlusNet router from my internal network (its address is on a separate private subnet). I can no longer access the router but cannot see how to setup a route to do so - I do not want to keep having to plug in directly just to check the PlusNet router.

I tried static routes and VLAN subnets but of course they do not know about the WAN port.

What do I need to do? Preferably I would like to provide access just to the specific IP address of the router.

3 REPLIES 3
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

So the MX is the default gateway to the client you're using to access the PlusNet web mgmt? In that case you shouldn't have to configure anything. The MX will NAT your request, but upon the PlusNet responding it should know where to send it, basically just like any webpage really.

Maybe there's a firewall on the PlusNet that is restricting access to certain IP addresses (it should allow access comling from the MX WAN IP)?

I assumed that - and it used to be the case, but not now.

I have tried ping and it cannot ping the PlusNet router.

The PlusNet router has a 4 port switch on the back - the MX64 is plugged into one of those ports and if I plug my laptop directly to another of the ports I get access.

This suggests that there is not a firewall issue in the PlusNet router as it would block access via all ports.

I have ensured there is minimal firewall blocking on the PlusNet router on the basis firewall activities are done by the MX64 and having the PlusNet router interfere could cause hard-to-trace issues.

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

@xeg12 wrote:

This suggests that there is not a firewall issue in the PlusNet router as it would block access via all ports.

Likely, but not necessarily. It could allow access from the laptop's IP but not from the MX's IP. Depends on how the range would be setup in the rules.

Any firewall rules setup in the MX? Is the client using the "Normal" device policy?

I'd probably have a look at a packet capture on the WAN interface of the MX (Internet) to see if the pings come by.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels