MX64 Routing local DNS server Local Domain

Tehsin
Here to help

MX64 Routing local DNS server Local Domain

Hi everyone,

Previously when I was using watchguard firebox I could connect other worksations to the company domain...COMPANY.local

However after moving to MX64 everytime I setup a new workstation and try connecting to company domain it says the computer could not find a Active directory domain controller.

Then I have to ho to network settings.

SELECT ip4 advanced settings.

Add the server IP address and regist the COMPANY.local domain

then I can add the workstation to the domain.

Do u know why I had to go through so many steps.

The othe thing is that I cannot map drives using the server name \\xx-svr2\company docs

rather I have to put the ip address of the server followed by the file name \\192.168.1.1\company docs

Please help

2 Replies 2
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

It sounds like the DHCP scope configured within the MX, for the VLAN in question, hasn't been configured to serve clients with the right (internal) DNS server address(es).

have a look in here, for the VLAN in question:   Security appliance > Configure > DHCP

Refer to this documentation:  https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Configuring_DHCP_Serv...

I think this is the most relevant line:   

• Specify nameservers... - Clients will be given a list of DNS servers configured by the administrator. These servers are listed in the Custom nameservers box that will appear, with a single address per line.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could also configure Windows NRPT to resolve this.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/dnsclient/add-dnsclientnrptrule?view=win10-ps 

For example to route all DNS requests for company.local to the internal AD server 10.0.0.1:

dd-DnsClientNrptRule -Namespace "company.local" -NameServers "10.0.0.1"

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels