MX64 Client IP conflict (from Synology NAS)

ManolisFr
Getting noticed

MX64 Client IP conflict (from Synology NAS)

Hello to all

We have also in our network a synology NAS in which we have a network bonding 

How can we disabled the client ip conflict message on event log. I have no alert enabled on alerts tab (in order to send mail for this)

But our event log is full of this type of event 

9 REPLIES 9
pmhaske
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Greetings,

Client IP conflict events cannot be disabled. These events are generated if the MX has observed traffic from multiple MAC addresses, using the same IP address.

Thanx a lot Pavan. 

We have also our server with bonding configuration but we have no events for this "conflict"

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@ManolisFr what are you connecting your Synology NAS to? If its directly to the MX64, then the MX64 doesn't support any form of NIC/network bonding. It is possible that the Synology is using both network links with the same IP address. This will likely result in the Meraki seeing an IP address being associated with two MACs, and hence the error. I would try 'un-configuring' the network bonding on the MX if the Synology is connected to it.

The server is probably behaving slightly smarter - i.e. keeping each IP address on the same NIC - which is why you're not seeing alerts from the server.

Hello . The Synology is connected to our Gigabit Switch. Not directly to the MX64

On the MX are connected only the 2 vdsl connections and a cable to the above switch.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

What model is the gigabit switch? Is it configured with link aggregation?

hi,

It's a TPLINK SG-1024D unmanaged

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@ManolisFr if its an unmanaged device then you'll likely be having the same issue I described for the MX64. If the Synology is using both its NIC MAC addresses, but only a single IP address then you will be seeing the same IP with two different MAC addresses, which triggers the alert on the MX. Have a look at the MAC addresses that the MX is reporting in the Event Log alerts and see if they match the MAC addresses on the two NICs of the Synology.

Unfortunately, there may not be a solution to this one. If you're using Synology's Adaptive Load Balancing this may just be the way it works. Your solution may be to either live with the error, unplug one of the cables from the Synology (i.e. break the network bonding), or to purchase a switch that supports LACP and use LACP for the link aggregation.

IT_Tropolis
Here to help

Does Meraki have a solution to turn-off the alerts in this case?  It's not an issue as this is how the Synology handles NIC Teaming so I just want to stop the alerts from the Meraki.

SchittiC
Conversationalist

Similar 'problem' here with my QNAP. Nothing new to this topic?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels