MX250 install -- did not go well. Does Internet ports support MA-SFP-1GB-TX?

JoeN6R
Conversationalist

MX250 install -- did not go well. Does Internet ports support MA-SFP-1GB-TX?

The 2 Internet ports are 10G SFP.  So I assumed I could used other ports for Internet traffic and use my copper.  Nope.  So I had 2 Cisco RJ45 SFPs and tried that.  Nope.  Then I had 3 brand new 2960Xs installed the same day with 10G uplink ports.  Installed the Cisco 1Meter 10G DAC and you would think the ports would work then.  Nope.  Called support (On hold for 30 mins on a Saturday afternoon).  Only Meraki SFPs are supported.  Really, Cisco SFPs are not supported?  This is ridiculous.  Now I am looking at telling the customer we need to get Meraki SFPs.  I want to use the 1G copper SFPs.  No where does it say it will work.  The documentation only says the ports are 10G SFP.  Do the Internet ports step down to 1G Copper?  Nothing documented.  None of the SFPs on the web site say they work with the MX'es.  When I get to the Copper SFP page it only lists the switches it works with.  On the MX250 page it lists the 1G Copper SFP but click on it and and it takes you to the page that does not list the MX as supported.    Really hard to sell Meraki products when I keep running into this.  Got burned in labor for almost 30 Meraki switches with fan issues we had to replace after installing them.  I appreciate that Meraki sent them in advance of them failing but then there is the labor and the outages the customer had to go through again.    

Rant done... So here is the question.  Can I use the MA-SFP-1GB-TX on the Internet ports on the MX250?

8 REPLIES 8
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>MA-SFP-1GB-TX 

Yes, you can use this.

You were a bit unlucky.  Just about all SFPs work.  I bet once you have bought it online and let its firmware upgrade all of the SFPs you have already tried will work.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

ps. This is the SFP/SFP+ compatibility chart.

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_sfp.pdf 

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Just to reiterate what @PhilipDAth has said already, yes you can use the copper SFP in the WAN ports. We have a number of customers using that setup.

Dont be disheartened, Meraki solutions are great to work with. Understand your venting, we’ve all been there.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@JoeN6R we use Cisco GLC-T modules in our MX250 WAN ports and have done for almost 2 years (since they were new), not sure why you were so unlucky 😞

JoeN6R
Conversationalist

All.  Thanks for the replies and not just beating me up over this.  This Friday I will be attempting the re-install again after getting the Meraki copper SFPs.  Will advise and also once I have the unit up I will swap out the Meraki ones for the Cisco GLC-T's I have and see if they do indeed still work and let you all know. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@JoeN6R good luck and don't beat yourself up, we've all had disastrous installs so feel your pain 🤞

JoeN6R
Conversationalist

All,

Used the Meraki SFPs and all was well.  It did take a very long time before it started talking to the cloud.  I just hate not having a command line to verify things.  Especially when you are talking about a firewall with such expense.  I understand holding the little guys hands and making it automajik but when something is not quite right command line would be awesome. 

Again - Thanks for the replies and I am working a Cisco 9K with FEX install that is not cooperating so off to get that completed. 

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Patience is one thing I’ve learnt with Meraki.

just believe in the Magic

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels