MX105 VLANs or MS250-48FP VLANs

SOLVED
akehn
Here to help

MX105 VLANs or MS250-48FP VLANs

Hello,

I am brand new to Meraki and VLANs as well. I have been searching and watching videos but still confused. Some people say one thing and others say something else.

So I have the following.

(1) MX105

(1) MS250-48FP

(3) MS125-24P

(3) MR

Will have 4 VLAN's maybe 5 down the road. Should I set these up on the MX105 or the MS250-48FP and why? I have a small network that consists of 30 computers, 32 IP Cameras, 20 Phones.

Next question will be how to set this up but can ask that in a another post when i figure out which device to set this up on.

Thanks for any help on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It depends  on the traffic flows. 

If you have lots of traffic between vlans you can choose  to make the layer3 vlans on the switch.

If its mostly internet traffic then create them on the MX.

I would try first on the mx and keep track of the load on summary  report page.

Mx has better firewall & security options that can be used also between vlans.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It depends  on the traffic flows. 

If you have lots of traffic between vlans you can choose  to make the layer3 vlans on the switch.

If its mostly internet traffic then create them on the MX.

I would try first on the mx and keep track of the load on summary  report page.

Mx has better firewall & security options that can be used also between vlans.

akehn
Here to help

Hello,

Yeah almost all is internet traffic. We don't have any servers anymore. We use AzureAD now. All our programs are hosted with the Vendors so nothing onsite at all except our camera system which that will slowly go away. Going with Meraki cameras as they go out.

Does make sense as well being able to have the firewall & security options for the VLANs.

Thanks again. Will wait until later today to Accept as Solution just to see if anyone else chimes in.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@akehn I agree 100% with @ww 

akehn
Here to help

Ok you both convinced me then 🙂 I will give it a go on the MX105 and see how far I can get with trying to configure the VLANs. 

Thanks again.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels