MX100 trunk to a Q-in-Q trunk

Solved
Carlo
Here to help

MX100 trunk to a Q-in-Q trunk

I have a customer who wants to do HA across town. They have a 300 meg fiber and switches at both ends. on the LAN side, they want to vlans. So I can send one trunk with both down and that should also work for the heartbeat but they want a separate connection for each VLAN, so I think that would mess up the heartbeat function. 

One way around this i think is to have a separate trunk port off the MX100 to a switch that is doing Q-in-Q trunking.

Has anyone done this?

Is this a bad idea?

I can send picture if need be.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You get a QinQ connection from the service provider - and yes that works fine.

If you are running anything that uses clustering or shares an IP address (hsrp, vrrp, etc) then you really should get redundant QinQ circuits, otherwise if you have that single circuit failure both sites will try and go active/active.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You get a QinQ connection from the service provider - and yes that works fine.

If you are running anything that uses clustering or shares an IP address (hsrp, vrrp, etc) then you really should get redundant QinQ circuits, otherwise if you have that single circuit failure both sites will try and go active/active.

Thanks, They have their own switches and want to do it themselves. They have other thing across there also. already tried to tell them that a second connection will help.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels