MX100 - Can I combine two ISP's bandwidth?

SOLVED
esteban01
Conversationalist

MX100 - Can I combine two ISP's bandwidth?

I have a client who has two ISPs assigned to their environment. One ISP is active and the second ISP is available. The client is asking if its possible to combine both bandwidths together and have them active at all times.

My understanding would be that this request would not be possible. And it would also remove the possibility of redundancy if one ISP fails. Can any confirm or correct me, I can't seem to find documentation to answer this question.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and help out.

Sincerely,

Esteban

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

You can't combine and route all traffic out a virtual WAN (2 Physical WANs).

You could have both of them active. Send certain traffic out one WAN and other traffic out the other. You would have no redundancy, but depends on the needs. Sometimes you see this with VOIP out WAN2 and Everything else out WAN1

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/MX_Load_Balancing_and_Flow_Preferen...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
hockeydude
Getting noticed

Not possible with an MX.
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

You can't combine and route all traffic out a virtual WAN (2 Physical WANs).

You could have both of them active. Send certain traffic out one WAN and other traffic out the other. You would have no redundancy, but depends on the needs. Sometimes you see this with VOIP out WAN2 and Everything else out WAN1

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/MX_Load_Balancing_and_Flow_Preferen...

Priesty
Building a reputation

no combine to form a mega pipe, but defiantly use MX rules to direct out traffic out of different WAN pipes.

One of our clients uses one of their WAN connections for all VPN traffic back to data centre, the other is used for the guest network to handle streaming video etc etc.

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi @esteban01 

As @SoCalRacer suggests, In case we want to use both the links I believe "Load Balancing" features helps.

The traffic is distributed between the links as per the configuration under "Uplink configuration" at Security & SD-WAN > SD-WAN & traffic shaping.

I understand this way client can utilize both the links.

Also the fail-over is automatic, if a link fails all the traffic will flow from the other working link.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Simply select load balancing as below and your clients will use both links, if either is down all traffic goes to the other.  We have been using this for over 6 months and it works perfectly.

Screenshot_20200109-205208_Chrome.jpg

hockeydude
Getting noticed

to be clear, that's load balancing. uses one or the other, not both at same time. it'll use either the 50mb or the 70mb, not both at 120mb.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@hockeydude you are correct that one flow will only use one link but if you have more than one flow going on then both links should be active.  This should be the case in most circumstances.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels