MX v15 firmware still in beta

ReformIT
Here to help

MX v15 firmware still in beta

We have a client that needs to used route based VPNs to Azure as they have multiple sites that need access to the same Azure tenant and quite understandably they don't want to pay the ridiculous cost of a vMX which is really just a VPN endpoint.  

I am aware this functionality is only available in v15 firmware for the MX but this major version has been in beta I believe for more than 2 years. It nearly has the same number of revisions as the current "stable" V14 firmware!

Seems a bit ridiculous to me considering the pressure that has been put in Cisco Meraki to get route based VPNs working over the last 4 years (or more!). 

My client and I are slightly nervous about deploying this firmware revision until Cisco themselves have enough confidence to classify it as stable. Does anyone have any idea of a timescale or is it still unknown? 

9 REPLIES 9
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Please note that „Beta“ within Meraki is something different than vendor XYZ. Please take a look at https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Firmware_Upgrades/Meraki_Firmware_Release_P...

The latest beta firmware is fully supported by our Support and Engineering teams. Older betas are supported with best effort; an upgrade to the latest beta will ensure full support.“

I‘m running 15.x also on customer sites and never experienced any „typical beta issues“. Even when there was something popping up, it was never a problem regarding TAC (see above).

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@ReformIT to echo what @CptnCrnch said, we have used the 15.x firmware on our ~25 MXs for a year or so now without any major issues.

@cmr @CptnCrnch thank you both - that is reassuring that you have both had positive experiences with V15.x

Out of interest have either of you had cause to use the IKEv2 Route based VPN functionality with Azure? 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@ReformIT no we haven't plenty of AutoVPN though...

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Same here. Didn't have a chance to play around with Azure and (Auto)VPN

JohnD
Getting noticed

It’s worth mentioning that Meraki generally includes an explicit warning in the release notes when a beta is particularly unpolished. Usually it says something like it’s an “early beta” and advises using different firmware. You can see such a warning on the earlier 15.x releases.

I honestly run most of my Meraki networks on Beta or Stable RC firmware and in a lot of ways I’ve found it to be improved compared to the latest stable release.

thunt
Here to help

Why has 15.x not been pushed to at least RC status if it is so stable as so many profess?  I do not share everyone elses optimism since the first line when you click the release notes for 15.x is: 

Important notice

• This is a beta version for the next major MX release. Due to this, we recommend taking additional caution before upgrading production appliances. Where applicable, MX 14 releases will provide a more stable upgrade alternative.

The Meraki community has been BEGGING for IKEv2 for so long.  IKEv1 shows up in every single audit and I am getting tired of justifying it.

RFC 4306 updated IKE to version two in December 2005!!  Why is this so hard for Meraki?  I'm not being facetious.  I'm not a software developer or a software engineer. It's a legitimate question. I want to understand. Why is this so hard?

I'd be interested in an update on this too. We have a customer wanting to use IKEv2 for connections to Azure yet the only way to achieve this with their Meraki kit is to install a beta firmware which seems unbelievable! 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@cookiejc if you look at the release notes you'll see that 15.42 is now a late stage beta, I'm expecting the next 15.x release to be a stable release candidate, and if not then not far off.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels