MX for a guest/public WiFi network?

Solved
Cloud11
Conversationalist

MX for a guest/public WiFi network?

Question for the Meraki vets - would you recommend an MX for a new public WiFi network that will only be used by visitors?

Employees have a separate WiFi network on their own WAN circuit, so no sensitive data or device communications (eg printers) will be sent over this network.

In other words...is this "overkill"?

Thank you in advance - Mark

1 Accepted Solution
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Sure.  I have some large full stack Meraki, free public WiFi installs.  Thousands of clients and terabytes of data.  It works great and the dashboard reports are nice to share with my customer so they can get an idea of how it is being utilized.  It is 100% separate infrastructure in my case. 

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If these are the only requirements, an MX is a completely vaible solution.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Sure.  I have some large full stack Meraki, free public WiFi installs.  Thousands of clients and terabytes of data.  It works great and the dashboard reports are nice to share with my customer so they can get an idea of how it is being utilized.  It is 100% separate infrastructure in my case. 

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We use MXs for almost all of our public WiFi provision as well, it is excellent as you don't need to get to the "management interface" that most firewalls have either on a physical port or mapped to an internal interface.  Soooo much better than the ASAs we have moved away from.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels