5 Replies 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

you can't

MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

No, the MX does not support subinterfaces today.  Depending on your design, there could be a simple method to provide a workaround, but you are still limited to 2 WAN interfaces plus a tertiary cellular backup perhaps.  The workaround I mention is if you are leveraging 2 subinterfaces on a physical port today, then you simply have a dot1q trunk interface come into a switch or the MX itself, and then configure 2 access ports with the appropriate VLAN IDs (to simulate the 2 subinterfaces) and connect patch cables from those 2 LAN ports into WAN1 and WAN2.  That can work around the subinterface requirement, but again, you are limited to two WAN interfaces.  If you need to leverage SD-WAN functionality with 4 ISP links, today you might consider a Cisco Viptela solution.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When I hear people are using more than a couple of ISPs I ask why?

Typically if you take that some money and invest it in just two ISPs you can get a much better service.

Sometimes they are doing it for historic reasons that no longer apply.

Nick
Head in the Cloud

There can be many reasons though Philip

Building issues, you are unable to get another line in or a leased line.

Capacity at the local exchange, only ADSL is available

Different services or contracts, i.e a dedicated breakout VOIP service with one data and a backup data line would put you over the limit
Nick
Head in the Cloud

Its worth noting we have hit the 2WAN limit quite regularly on our installs. Its quite common for mid size businesses to have 3 WAN's if they are using a short haul VOIP connection and have two Data connections. A 3 WAN ability would be very useful
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels