MX Nat Mode - Indrect subnet NAT

SOLVED
Doug_Barnes
Here to help

MX Nat Mode - Indrect subnet NAT

Will a MX in NAT mode perform outbound PAT for subnets that are only reachable via static routes with next hop addresses reachable via LAN interfaces?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

4 REPLIES 4
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Outbound PAT?  And most of the MX NAT rules are focused on inbound.  Outbound traffic will just show as the MX WAN IP. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

Thanks Adam.  Maybe I should clarify my question.  I am not concerned with Inbound (internet into MX) translation here.  This is typically accomplished with 1:1 static NATs or some form of Port Forwarding (static PAT).  My question is will the MX perform outbound dynamic translation for any LAN facing subnet that is in the local route table; including static routes pointing to subnets reachable via next hop LAN interfaces?

In my situation I will have an MX configured in NAT mode.  The WAN interface is connected to an Internet circuit, the LAN interface is connccted to a L3 switch.  Local VLANs are disabled under “Addressing & VLANs ”. Static routes are configured for internal reachability.

This will work fine @Doug_Barnes.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels