MX HA PAIR || Routed Mode || Does it support Per VLAN HA in LAN

vijaykumar
New here

MX HA PAIR || Routed Mode || Does it support Per VLAN HA in LAN

Hello All,
I want to understand MX HA Pair in routed mode where we have 5 VLAN configured on MX device.

These 5 VLAN are configured & passed in L2 switch connected in LAN port of Both MX.

As per the Meraki Documents, It sends VRRP message for each VLAN in LAN segment and when Spare device does not receive these messages within certain time, It will take over active Role.

My doubt is, If I remove certain VLAN from intermediate L2 switch, in that scenario, Spare MX will not receive VRRP message. Will Spare MX work as Active device in HA for removed VLAN?

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, removing a VLAN will not influence VRRP.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, in case of a failure, the whole box will change the active state. There is no active-active operation on the MX.

Thanks for your response.
Just to understand in more detail,
If I remove 4 VLAN out of 5 from L2 switch trunk port, leave only one VLAN passing through trunk, in this case also Primary MX will remain Active?

I am just trying to compare it with HSRP working.

In case of MX HA Pair,
How LAN devices [Host machine] will decide to send Data to Which MX? I mean who they will get ARP?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The goal of MX HA is to deal with hardware failures. As long as the spare receives any heartbeats, no failover happens.

These heartbeats are L2 packets; the spare doesn't have an IP address. LAN devices always communicate with the device that holds the MX's LAN IP.

Here is some more information:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/Routed_HA_Failover_Behavior

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels