MX Group Policy BW Limit Impacts

Solved
american_nisei
Getting noticed

MX Group Policy BW Limit Impacts

I've set up a group policy on the MX100 for 10Mbps up and down bandwidth, assigned it to a VLAN and assigned the VLAN to a port on the MX.  

By setting up bandwidth limits on the VLAN, does that have an impact on the other VLANs?  In other words, if the total Internet pipe is 200Mbps and I create a group policy for 10Mbps up and down bandwidth, does that restrict the rest of the network to 190Mbps?

1 Accepted Solution

OK.  Thanks for the response...that is what I thought.  In order to guarantee 10Mbps on the one VLAN, I will need to throttle bandwidth on the other VLANs.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No it does not.

It only limits the maximum bandwidth on that one VLAN.  If no traffic is on that VLAN the other users will be able to use the full 200Mb/s.

OK.  Thanks for the response...that is what I thought.  In order to guarantee 10Mbps on the one VLAN, I will need to throttle bandwidth on the other VLANs.

If your looking to guarantee 10mbps on one VLAN it might be more practical to limit the rest of your vlans to 190mbps(assuming you have a dedicated 200mbps circuit), then unlimited on the VLAN your looking to guarantee BW.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels