MX Firewall DHCP Custom Default Gateway

SOLVED
Mosquitar
Here to help

MX Firewall DHCP Custom Default Gateway

Hi All,

I'm currently configuring an MX Firewall as a DHCP server and cant find an option to change the gateway IP address that DHCP allocates. This is required to support a migration as I want the MX to initially act as a DHCP server for the connected clients but for the clients to use the old firewall that is located on the same VLAN as their default gateway. Example below

Old Firewall (Gateway) - 192.168.1.1

New Meraki MX Firewall (DHCP Server) - 192.168.1.2 

Clients - 192.168.1.10 - 200

Can I override the DHCP gateway using custom option 3? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Mosquitar I tested and It worked well. 🙂

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Maybe yes, check this link:

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Setting_Custom_DHCP_O...

Is it possible to perform a test?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

I cant test at the moment as I'm offsite. 

Looking at the link that you attached, it appears that the Meraki MX will automatically respond with 'Option 3 - Router' using it local IP address, however its not really clear if you can override Option 3 and specify a custom IP address.

It looks like this is possible in the dashboard, but I'm not sure if the MX will honour this or if it will override and return its own IP address

Meraki MX DHCP Option 3.PNG

Has anyone tested this before?

Give me a minute I will test it.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Mosquitar I tested and It worked well. 🙂

Thats great, I really appreciate you testing this. Much appreciated!!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels