MX 250 NAT 1:1

shlomoi
Here to help

MX 250 NAT 1:1

Hi friends,

We recently connected an MX 250, my ISP assigned me a number of public addresses.
80.178.158.128/28
We use 2   P2P addresses
MX 80.178.158.130 
ISP 80.178.158.129

Within our office there is another company that is connected through our line, and they want to connect a FORTI FW

with a public address for to establishing SITE TO SITE with another FORTI FW
I configured a 1:1 NAT for them with one of my addresses
But there is a problem that they still go out with my PUBLIC address, does anyone have an idea how to solve the problem.

Thanks

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can you share a topology just to be clearer?

But just to make it clear, NAT is only inbound and not outbound.
I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Hi,

The topology is quite simple, MX is connected to an ISP 

MX 80.178.158.130/28
ISP 80.178.158.129/28

6 switches connected  for users with 5 vlans .

One of the firm's clients wants to connect FORTI FW to our network with a public  ip address. I assigned him an address 80.178.158.140

And I did NAT 1:1 between

Now my problem is that the  forti goes out through my public  address
And not through the ip  address I assigned him

mx 250.PNG

Thanks 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It will not work as expected, the NAT on the MX is inbound only, the outbound will still use the MX's WAN IP.

It would be easier to connect the carrier link to the Switch and configure the switch port to access a different VLAN and then configure the right public IP on the Fortigate.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

1:1 NAT usually works for outbound as well.  It should be using the 1:1 IP address for the outbound traffic as well.

The connection to the ISP - is their a spare port on the ISP device so they could plug their firewall in directly?

I partly agree with his statement, but the way he wants to use it (I believe it is as a Gateway for a specific network) it won't work.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels