MRs plugged into MX68 reporting low power mode?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MRs plugged into MX68 reporting low power mode?

I am relatively confident that MRs (that need 802.3at power) normally report they are getting 802.3at power from MX68 PoE ports.  However I checked a few MRs this morning, and they are all reporting they are running in low power mode.

Does anyone have an 802.3at MR plugged into an MX68 PoE port not reporting low power mode?  If so, what firmware version is your MX68 and your MR?

The last one I looked at:

MX68: 16.14

MR36:  27.7.1

You can see the PoE mode of the MR in the bottom left-hand corner of the MR dashboard screen.

PhilipDAth_0-1642017402352.png

11 REPLIES 11
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have the same problem (on all fw versions i used last year). I fixed it before reseating the cable.(i even made a new connector on it) But after some time it reverts  back to low power. (Mr 46)

However MR44 is currently running normal on the same mx (fw16.15, But i think i have seen this ap also at af before)

Another issue i have with MR mgig  ports on mx68 . That i have low Upload speed, it never passes 100Mbit.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm seeing this on multiple MR68's, so definitely not a cabling issue.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Its back at at after reseat of cable.  Reboot ap from dashboard did not help. (Did not test  disabling port of the mx)

I had a case but closed it after reseat of cable. And didnt bother to re-open because i dont notice any problem in low power mode.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This may sound stupid , but have you checked that both devices are running and send LLDP packets ? I'm guessing that the MX needs the LLDP packet to know that the MR is requesting 802.3at power.  That could be a bug. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Neither the MX nor the MR has any LLDP configuration available to the user.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yeah no surprise there.

Run a packet capture to see the LLDP packets maybe ? I'm pretty sure this is how they request the required power

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I had the same "problem". Support told me to factory reset the MX and after that my MR52 was running normal. Much later it switched again to low power mode but I replaced the MX68 with a MX75 and there this problem does not show up.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I did some work with support on this - it's a known bug.

If you power cycle the unit from cold (physically unplug and re-plug) it comes up correctly.

If you give it a reboot (or any soft reboot) it comes up in low power mode.

Whew good to know. Same issue here. They swapped a MR52 for me already. Good to know its a known issue. Did they say anything about resolution timeframe? 

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.

The “problem” is even broader. On my MX75 I have:

• an MR52 on Port 13, PoE is shown in the dashboard.
  • a Mist AP is on Port 12, but the dashboard doesn’t show that the MX is providing PoE.

Ruh Roh. Who's our company rep on here these days? this seems like a more.. impactful bug than teleworker VPNs using blah blah only fail on prime number's VLANs or whatever. 

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels