MPLS issues

Drose
Comes here often

MPLS issues

My team and I are trying to replace our Edgerouter with MX 85. We are not able to get it to come up. We have a ELAN set up that has a private vlan that connects to our home office over MPLS to our main office to go to the internet. This ELAN has a single subnet. We have tried to set up the MX with the LAN port going out as support has suggested but this doesn't work. Has anyone come up with this issue and found a solution.

10 Replies 10
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you trying to use the MPLS link on the MX's WAN or LAN port?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

We tried to set the static ip for the MX WAN but Meraki said that will not work. We then set up VLAN on the LAN. This also didn't work. Meraki told us that the WAN will not work with the MPLS.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

They are right, this does not in fact work over the WAN. Take a look at the documents I sent.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can start checking these documents:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Site-to-site_VPN/Configuring_Site-to-site_VPN_over_MPLS

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MPLS_Failover_to_Meraki_Auto_VPN

We tried that but the issue is the MPLS network is on the same VLAN. Ok the MX 0.0.0.2 is our firewall (Sophos) at the DATA center 0.0.0.1 over MPLS. We set up the LAN to do site to site VPN on for that network with the IP being 0.0.0.2. The Firewall we have at the Datacenter doesn't see the MX. The ISP also doesn't see the MX. We cannot set up a static route on the MX because it will not let me set up a static route on the same network. I then tried a source-based route. We still cannot talk to the Firewall at another location. It would then go to the internet from that Firewall.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Any chance of changing the addressing on your end?

I believe that unfortunately this will not work if it is on the same network.

This is set through our ISP. We have all the Branches on the same MPLS network. For them to communicate they have to be on the same network to talk back and share information. The Branches all talk out of the same VLAN over MPLS to the Main site then go to the internet. Such at 0.0.0.2 talks to 0.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.4 to 0.0.0.1 then goes over the ELAN to the then go to the internet behind 0.0.0.1.

Drose
Comes here often

So, I am not in a position to change the way the network set up.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal
Drose
Comes here often

So, I cannot change the ip scheme of 0.0.0.1/24. But what if I on a local level crave up the /24 into /30s and then point them to the Sophos. Like 0.0.0.1/32 pointing to 0.0.0.21. This way I do not break the scheme but separate the subnets. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels