MG Cellular Gateway

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

MG Cellular Gateway

When on the road I have found that duct-taping the Z3C to a window often makes the difference between a workable connection and no connection. Unfortunately, rolls of duct tape take up a lot of space in a computer bag.

Warning - many of those lovely double/triple glazed glass buildings have metallic coatings on one of the glass layers, this can block signals completely.

MobileNetworkSpeeds.jpg

I notice that the MG range is described as having a CAT6 cellular modem - up to 300Mbps. So not 5G.

When I go up to London, despite the UK rarely being an early adopter in these matters, I have 4 live 5G networks to choose from. It would have been nice to think that the MG had been developed with 5G in mind. 

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
3 REPLIES 3
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

I have checked the size and weight of the MG 21 (160.45 x 160.45 x 34.45mm and 497g). This set me thinking.

I think that I can stick a Velcro patch on the glass of a window and also on the back of the MG, to hold the MG firmly in place (worst case, Superglue the Velcro to the window, using Acetone as a solvent to remove it). 

If I'm using a Z3C, it has an 802.3af 15.5W PoE port, and the MG21 draws 10 Watt Maximum also PoE 802.3af, whilst being a similar weight. So I could velcro the MG21 to the window and keep the Z3C on my desk. If only they would allow the Z3C or MG21 to access a WiFi network . . . 

It would probably be easier to fit the MG21 into the computer bag than a roll of duct tape.

Now, all I need to do is get hold of a MG21 for testing  and proof of concept.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

I keep waiting for them to get 5G version also for AT&T.  I have an unlimited 5G SIM from AT&T but i currently use it in the huge router they sent me with the service and I would love something smaller that I can travel with.

You are asking about allowing the Z3 or MG to access a WIFI network.  Are you talking for the uplink to the internet?  

Michael Kozicki
CCIE #5367
MJK Net Inc.

Just an update of what I did to get 5G on my ATT account.  I saw they now have the Netgear Nighthawk M6 so I purchased the pro version of that and it works GREAT.

https://about.att.com/story/2022/netgear-nighthawk-hotspots-5g.html

Its also quite small and can run battery or just off a USB-C power plug.  Has a single 2.5 G Ethernet port also.

Michael Kozicki
CCIE #5367
MJK Net Inc.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels