Load balancing and inbound traffic

Solved
dmaldonado
Comes here often

Load balancing and inbound traffic

Hello, 

I'm curious to know how many people handle inbound traffic when two WAN links are used on the MX. My understanding is that load balancing is primarily for outbound wan traffic but wanted to be sure. 

Thank you,

1 Accepted Solution
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In this scenario you just point your request to the IP on the secondary WAN. Or you let your DNS-server handle a rewrite of the A-record if the first circuit goes down.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Load balancing does apply to outbound requests, but the inbound reply comes back on the same circuit - so, in effect both inbound and outbound end up getting spread across both Internet circuits.

dmaldonado
Comes here often

Forgive my ignorance here. If your request is coming in, do you not have to choose what WAN IP address you’re  wanting to hit for whichever resources at home base you’re trying to access? For example, if youre trying to access something remotely you would presumably be pointing to one WAN IP. If that link is down, there is nothing to auto resolve that attempt to use the second link. 

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In this scenario you just point your request to the IP on the secondary WAN. Or you let your DNS-server handle a rewrite of the A-record if the first circuit goes down.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels