Load balance live streaming in MX bound to two different ISP

SOLVED
Prithiviraj
Here to help

Load balance live streaming in MX bound to two different ISP

If I have a live streaming event, am I able to load balance the streaming traffic to two different internet providers? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It all depends. Do you *send* the traffic to the different destinations directly? Then it will be load balanced (well, if that feature is enabled on the MX). But if you send the stream to a distribution system (like youtube or a website where the stream can be consumed) then again, there will be no load balancing.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If it is one flow or even one IP-address-pair in the communication, it will go over only one ISP. There will be no load balancing.

Hi @KarstenI , 

Thanks for the response. Can I assume, if there are multiple destination over internet to receive the stream, the flow will get load balanced, in round robin or based on the ratio set in WAN1 and WAN2 link? 

Thanks you. 

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Yes if you have load-balancing enabled on the MX then the flows are load balanced in the ratio as per the bandwidths defined for each link. Have a look here for some more info, https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/MX_Load_Balancing_and_Flow_Preferen...

It all depends. Do you *send* the traffic to the different destinations directly? Then it will be load balanced (well, if that feature is enabled on the MX). But if you send the stream to a distribution system (like youtube or a website where the stream can be consumed) then again, there will be no load balancing.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels