Licensing for MS425-16 Core switches in physical stack.

JamesMutie
Getting noticed

Licensing for MS425-16 Core switches in physical stack.

Hello community,

I found this in Meraki documentation.

Do I need duplicate licenses to cover my security appliance in a warm spare configuration?

No, if two security appliances are in a warm spare/HA configuration, licensing is only required for one of the two devices. The only additional cost of a warm spare configuration is the redundant hardware.

Switches in warm spare/HA will require two individual licenses.

I would like to know what will be the Impact of physically stacking the two MS425-16 switches when one of them is not licensed in an organization using per device Licensing model? 

Will the stack configuration option be available?

If the stack configuration is available and I configure the stack, what will happen if I the grace period of  the not-licensed stack member ends. 

Will the whole stack stop working after the one switch grace period?

3 REPLIES 3
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Your quote is about the security appliances. A warm spare MX doesn't need an extra license. But for the switches, every switch needs its own license, regardless of any stacking.

For the rest of the question: You really should not plan for being unlicensed. Always make sure to have appropriate licensing!

For the time after the grace-period: The documentation mentions a "shut down" here and then. Actually the devices keep running, but I would consider it irresponsible to knowingly run into this state.

@KarstenI Thanks, what happens if we stack them and the grace period for the unlicensed switches expires?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels