LAN clients getting forced to Local Status Page with Invalid DHCP address (MX250)

SOLVED
TM_1
Here to help

LAN clients getting forced to Local Status Page with Invalid DHCP address (MX250)

After installing Wireless AP (Non-Meraki but still Cisco) LAN clients no longer can connect hard wired through network.. They get a DHCP address that I didnt configure on a vlan that I didnt create.  (10.55.x.x)  Gateway/DNS shows up as 10.128.128.128)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TM_1
Here to help

Problem has been resolved.  Someone had plugged the Meraki Management port into an access switch and it was the "rogue dhcp".  Thanks for the responses

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
LV_MW_MSP
Getting noticed

If you set your LAN clients as static IP can they get out? What happens if you go to wired.meraki.com, will it load the configuration page of the MX?

A static IP allows them to work normally

MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

It sounds very much like you have a Rogue DHCP server on that VLAN. I'd take a packet capture on one of the ports on that VLAN to see what's sending out DHCP offers, find the port that the client is connected to and disable this port.

You can also attempt the above troubleshooting too.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is this "Wireless AP" that you connected also a "router"?  I bet it is running a DHCP server,  Try checking its config page.

I did check the WLC and it has a dhcp scope set but only for the wireless vlan.  Not the config showing on the problem clients

TM_1
Here to help

Problem has been resolved.  Someone had plugged the Meraki Management port into an access switch and it was the "rogue dhcp".  Thanks for the responses

MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

@TM_1 Glad you got to the bottom of it!

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

That behavior sounds like when you have an MR access point running in NAT mode with Meraki DHCP, where clients are isolated from one another and get a seemingly random 10.x.x.x address, with a default gateway and DNS server of 10.128.128.128.  Cannot tell what's really going on here without a network diagram, not sure we understand yet how things are connected.  Are you saying you connected up an Aironet AP, and somehow afterwards wired clients cannot get out?  Have you opened a ticket with Meraki Support to assist?  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels