L2TPv3 through MX

LaurentUlmi
Conversationalist

L2TPv3 through MX

Hello

I need to establish an L2TP tunnel from a Cisco device connected on the LAN behind an MX firewall to another Cisco device on the Internet.

The public IP of the peer can be reached from the LAN (ping is ok from the LAN interface of the MX or from the core switch).

When I run a capture from the MX, I can see the following continuously :

No. Time Source Destination Protocol Length Info
34 63.916202 10.128.2.55 1xx.xxx.xxx.xx4 L2TPv3 233 Control Message - SCCRQ (tunnel id=0)
35 64.915625 10.128.2.55 1xx.xxx.xxx.xx4 L2TPv3 233 Control Message - SCCRQ (tunnel id=0)
36 66.915588 10.128.2.55 1xx.xxx.xxx.xx4 L2TPv3 233 Control Message - SCCRQ (tunnel id=0)
37 69.999936 Cisco_49:02:e6 Cisco_49:02:e6 LOOP 64 Reply
38 70.915855 10.128.2.55 1xx.xxx.xxx.xx4 L2TPv3 129 Control Message - StopCCN (tunnel id=0)

The tunnel is never established.

I have no specific ACL on the MX or the core.

Do you have any idea where to look at ? I 've no specific log.

Could it be related to the L2TP configuration ?

If I connect the Cisco device directly on a DSL line, the L2TP tunnel is established immediatly.

Thanks

Regards

5 Replies 5
Aztec_Ninja
Getting noticed

You can find logs here >

Network-wide >  Monitor > Event Log >  Filter by All-Non Meraki VPN /Client VPN

Thanks for your reply.

When I said I had no log, I meant I can find logs related to any error in the Event logs.

Regards

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't think you'll get L2TP working through a NAT device.  You'd need to use something like L2TP over IPSec (note you could use the NULL encryption "cipher").

When it was working on the DSL device - did the DSL router have the public IP on it so there was no NAT?

I confirm when it was working on the DSL device, the DSL router have the public IP ; so it performs NAT translation.

Thanks for your message.

We will try to connect the router directly on one available LAN port of the firewall to be as if we were behind the DSL box (e.g by bypassing the core switch).

Laurent

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels