Known Juniper - Meraki Interoperability issues

SOLVED
andyshaw
Conversationalist

Known Juniper - Meraki Interoperability issues

I have a customer that is looking at installing a new gigabit internet circuit and the SP will supply a managed Juniper router. The customer has asked if we are aware of any compatibility issues between Juniper and Cisco Meraki hardware?

I've not come across any issues personally and a Google doesn't appear to bring up anything.

Anyone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

In principle, as long as Juniper abides by the 802.3 Ethernet standard there shouldn't be any interoperability issues. 

Make sure the SP provides a /30 (or /29 for Warm Spare setup), and a RJ45 jack, assuming anything lower than MX250.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What kind of interoperability? Layer 2 issues? Dynamic routing?

In a nutshell, I haven‘t heard of any specific issues between both vendors.

It wasn't anything specific, just looking for assurance that there was no "gotchas" before purchasing.  Thanks for your reply!

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

In principle, as long as Juniper abides by the 802.3 Ethernet standard there shouldn't be any interoperability issues. 

Make sure the SP provides a /30 (or /29 for Warm Spare setup), and a RJ45 jack, assuming anything lower than MX250.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

Thanks for your response.  Didn't think there would be, however you never know.  Appreciate the recommendation for backup also!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Think about it this way - the service provider is always using a managed router - it could be on-premise - and/or it could be the other end of the circuit back at the DC where all their customer's plugin (yep, you all plug into a router they manage).

But either way, they have to have managed routers (often many, and often L3 switches as well) somewhere to deliver Internet access.

Their whole business is about selling you access to the Internet, and to that end, they will make sure that what you are buying will enable that business model.

Thanks for this.  It was a bit of a random question from the customer, so just doing my due diligence. Appreciate the reply.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels