Is integrated cellular always connected on MX67/MX68? (IP address assigned)

SOLVED
Oliver
Here to help

Is integrated cellular always connected on MX67/MX68? (IP address assigned)

Hi,

I wonder if the cellular connection on integrated 4G modems (MX67/68) is always up and has an IP address assigned, even if 4G backup is on standby?

Background is IPv4 ressource usage as it would make a difference if thousands of networks with 4G backup in standby would have an address assigne 24/7 or only in case of primary WAN failure/active 4G backup.

Thanks in advance!

Best

Oliver

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@PhilipDAth

Not sure I follow Phil, because I always saw the status as showing it with a connection even when I had WAN1 up.

See below

2323423.JPG

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

As far as I am aware, once the internal modem creates a connection and grabs an IP, it stays active. I would imagine over time it might eventually do a release/renew and grab a new IP

TwitterLinkedIn
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The 4G connection remains down until their are no working WAN circuits.  At that point in time the connection gets brought up.

@PhilipDAth

Not sure I follow Phil, because I always saw the status as showing it with a connection even when I had WAN1 up.

See below

2323423.JPG

TwitterLinkedIn

Thanks all! Refering to @NolanHerrings screenshots it seems like the cellular IP is always asigned. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels