Intermittent "The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing

Nortrhoom
New here

Intermittent "The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing

Good day,

I have an interesting problem where a VPN client Intermittently disconnects and then refuses to reconnect with the error:

"The LT2P connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer"

After 10-15 minutes, I am able to re-establish the connection. This happens several times a day.

In the past, after the January 2022 dreadful update I had to uninstall the latest security patch and then in August 2022 I had to add registry keys as per this article. But these issues normally resulted in a completely unusable VPN connection. Now this is on and off. I am at a loss.

Any idea what the issue is this time? Thank you.

Applliance: MX64, MX 16.16

Windows 10

7 Replies 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is commonly a CPE firmware issue.  Try checking to see if your CPE has any updated firmed available.

You could also try power cycling the CPE in case it has gotten into a sad state.

Thank you. The only update I see is MX 16.16.6. Would that be it?

Also, what is CPE 🙂

No.  I'm talking about the CPE that the user with the client VPN is sitting behind.

Ah, the only thing the client has is Windows 10 laptop > ISP router. I'll check the ISP router but it is likely up to date.

Try giving that ISP router a power cycle as well in case it is in a sick state.

The issue is usually related to bugs processing UDP flows and timing them out prermaturely.

Thanks,

I'll ask the client to power cycle their modem.

I also updated to MX 16.16.6 since it is a stable patch

Mack023
New here

My issue is fixed by uninstalling latest security updates.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels