Intermittent internet for one device only

ErnstTFD
Getting noticed

Intermittent internet for one device only

OK, so I'm completely stumped here. I need help.

I have around 140 users on my Meraki MX64 with a 100Mbps up/down fibre network connection. Only one of my users has this problem.

This user has a Dell XPS 13 9310 laptop with Windows 11 installed. They use a J-Create JCD542 docking station's RJ-45 port to connect to the network.

Problem: The user has intermittent internet. However the local network is not intermittent.

To clarify, if I ping my local NAS drive (that is connected on the same switch as my Meraki MX64) then there is no packet loss. If I ping 8.8.8.8, then I have packet loss. If I connect another laptop on the same lan cable, the packet loss to 8.8.8.8 goes away. If I move the XPS laptop to a different lan connection, I still get packet loss to 8.8.8.8. Also if I connect the XPS to a D-Link router with 4G mobile internet via the same docking station, then the packet loss to 8.8.8.8 goes away. I have also tried a two other docking stations with the XPS and the packet loss still occurs when connected via the Meraki.

So the problem is not (as far as I can tell):

a) The network or the local lan cable, that works perfectly if another laptop is connected. Also the problem persists if the XPS user connects to the network at a different location.

b) The docking station, we have tried 3 different docking stations. Also the docking station is not intermittent when on a 4G router.

What I have done to try to fix the problem:

1) I have moved the user to a group policy with no restrictions.

2) I have changed the IP assignment of the user.

3) I have uninstalled the network driver in device manager and rebooted the laptop.

4) I have tried the Windows 11 internet connection troubleshooter, that found no problem.

5) I have tried these commands:

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

ipconfig /release

ipconipconfig /flushdnsfig /renew

6) In windows 11 I did: Settings > Network & internet > Advanced network settings > Network reset

Nothing works, the internet connection remains intermittent for this one user on this one laptop and nowhere else. I add a screenshot of how we ping a local NAS with no packet loss and 8.8.8.8 with packet loss at the same time.

Screenshot 2024-08-21 105729.png

0 Replies 0
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels