MX15 looks like it is about to become a release firmware as MX14.x version MX14.55 is ONLY for older models such as the MX90, se below. No major fixes, just stability reliability improvements, already being pushed out to replace our MXs running 15.41 despite only being released today:
I am specifically posting my experience with Meraki Support and Meraki latest "Stable" release 15.42.1
I upgraded our "X network" MX box on this sunday at 4.30pm PST.
To start with, it's been a very poor code quality since Meraki released 15.42 and 15.42.1.
Taking some packet captures, revealed that there is connectivity and routing issues between Site-to-Site Meraki peers, so while on one location client VPN, you cannot access the resources of the another location, there are intermittent packet loss.
Since the same day we started experiencing the connectivity issues in our Client VPN. These are the behaviours.
1). I connect to our "X network" client VPN on Meraki. Connects fine. Then within one minute the VPN disconnects automatically with no error message nothing.
2). I connect to our "X network" client VPN. Connects fine. No internet works on the VPN, internal and external. I can see packets going out, but no return traffic.
3). I connect to our "X network" client VPN. Connects fine. Internal traffic does not work, external traffic works.
4). I try to connect to our "X network" client VPN. It gives me Authentication failed for the same exact credentials that are saved in my VPN profile which was previously authenticating without any issues.
I have downgraded the "X network" MX box on 14.53, and now everything works fine. This happened on both 15.42 and 15.42.1.
Here is a sneak peak of other blogs of users facing similar issues - https://www.reddit.com/r/meraki/comments/n5hygl/mx_15421_breaks_routing_somehow/
@nsingh that is odd, I'm guessing it is only related to the client VPN as we don't use that, have had 20+ MXs on 15.42 since it came out and don't have any routing or pocket loss issues on them.
Having said that, we do have one site with a L3 core of a 355 stack (most are Cisco 3850 stacks) and if they run 12.x we get packet loss over the WAN, but if we run 14.x we don't. I only noticed it when I downgraded it to troubleshoot what turned out to be a couple of knackered printers as we normally use the latest code.
What cores do you have, are they Meraki, or do you do all the routing on the MXs?
@cmr - So we have few locations where we are using Meraki Cores, and this particular upgrade was done where we are using MX for routing.
@cmr - Thanks for your reply. Here is our simple infrastructure.
ISP -> MX250 standalone -> MS350-48 (acting as core) -> MS350-48FP -> APs and Clients
The switches are single and MX is also single at this point.
@nsingh What firmware version are the MS350s running?
The only packet loss issue we saw was when we briefly downgraded a stack of MS355s to 12.x code from the 14.x code we were running. Both 12.28 and 12.33 had the same problem so we went back to 14.x and are now running 14.21.
The problem we thought we were seeing turned out to be multiple connected endpoint devices failing in a short period rather than a switch issue...
@cmr - Ah! maybe that could be it. We are running 12.28 on both switches, however there was no mention of switch OS in the 15.42.1 release document for compatibility.
So you saying the "beta" OS 14.21 is good to upgrade?
Absolutely, we have 5 sites with Meraki switches covering 355s, 225s, 220s, 210s and 120s. All sites are running 14.x code, some on 14.16 (L2 switches) one on 14.20 (L3 210 stack) and two on 14.21 (L3 355 stack and a single L2 220).
We haven't had any issues with 14.x but we don't use port aggregation and there has been an issue reported on this community regarding that.
Meraki beta code is simply the next major version that hasn't been used by many customers yet. In the release notes you will sometimes see early stage beta (MX 16.x currently has this) and I wouldn't usually put that on a core/hub until proven on our own other sites/switches
@cmr - Yeah, no luck after 14.21 upgrade, and I checked we are not using aggression.
Well, now my Client VPN disconnects automatically in few seconds.
But thanks for the advise.
If anyone's confused at why this happened, please refer to the following KB: https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Firmware_Upgrades/Product_Firmware_Version_R...
Quoting the relevant detail here:
"Z1s, MX60/Ws, MX80s and MX90s cannot upgrade to MX 15 firmware, or any newer major release versions. If networks containing these devices are configured to run newer firmware revisions, they will run the newest MX 14 maintenance release instead."