Inseego USB Cellular Modem Compatibility

SOLVED
Twitch
Building a reputation

Inseego USB Cellular Modem Compatibility

Hello to the Crew - does anyone know where I can access the current list of compatible USB modems for the MX-64? The list is inaccessible from this link:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Cellular/3G%2F%2F4G_Cellular_Failover_with_USB_Modems

"New USB modem approvals are currently on hold until further notice. All ongoing evaluations for USB modems will be updated on this page as soon as completed.  We recommend to upgrade to the integrated/MG models for cellular connectivity and reach out to your sales contact."

The model I am attempting to use is the Inseego 4G Global Modem USB8L. I need this to be a primary Internet connection for a tractor-trailer drop yard in the middle of nowhere that has cell signal but nothing else.

The MX has been configured and connected to the dashboard via wired connection here at the office, but when I plug the modem in and disconnect the wired connection, the MX never fails-over to the cellular connection. Note that when I plug the cellular modem into a laptop I am able to reach the Internet without any issues. The MX, however - no joy. The firmware on the MX is up-to-date at 15.44.

Given the current supply-chain mess, we can't get an MG21 for at least 180 days of lead time, and of course the connection at the yard needs to be operating immediately.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Twitch

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For this use case "primary 4G internet" I have used Vodafone Gigacubes connected to WAN1 of the MX. That helped while waiting for the "real" ISP connection to be provisioned.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
tomas209ca
Getting noticed

Only thing that i have used in production have been the Pantech 295 or Novatel 730L with Verizon. USB are hit or miss at times. With New firmware they have become less reliable for usb modems. Only way for me to keep stable connection would be with a Cradlepoint CBA850. The other one we have used have been netgear 4g modems.

Edit. Looking inot the insego is liekthe 730L, you need to make sure that modem in setup for end user and has the device id of 9030 or it wont work on the meraki. Also to get to this section you need to access with computer at 192.168.1.1/labtestinfo

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For this use case "primary 4G internet" I have used Vodafone Gigacubes connected to WAN1 of the MX. That helped while waiting for the "real" ISP connection to be provisioned.

Twitch
Building a reputation

Weird - I clicked the Reply button and this post was suddenly accepted as the solution. Not sure how that happened, but anyway...

@KarstenI- looks like the Gigacubes are only good in the UK. I take that's where you are using yours? The website doesn't appear to mention service/availability here in the disUnited States.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I used them both in UK and Germany.

Twitch
Building a reputation

Thanks, guys. I just spoke with Meraki support and the tech told me that the Inseego USB8L is not compatible with Meraki. Back to the drawing board.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels