Implement VMX on cloud provider neither azure or aws

SOLVED
MrUn1x
Conversationalist

Implement VMX on cloud provider neither azure or aws

Hello ,

Kindly i want to know is there any possibility to implement VMX on cloud provider neither azure or aws ? 

Best Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No.  The VMX is only available for Amazon AWS and Azure.  There is no virtual solutions for any other cloud provider.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No.  The VMX is only available for Amazon AWS and Azure.  There is no virtual solutions for any other cloud provider.

Hi @PhilipDAth 

Is there a roadmap for launching it, especially for Oracle Cloud?

It could be interesting to provide an image on the Oracle Cloud marketplace or also a virtual appliance compatible with OVA, VMDK or other common formats.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know @hugoomine.  I haven't heard any talk about it.  In fact, I don't even come across people using Oracle cloud.

I use Oracle Cloud.  

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

The VMX is available for Alibaba cloud too. I’d suggest ‘Making a wish’ if you want it for Oracle cloud, but I’d reckon Meraki may well look at GCP before it does Oracle.

You may need to look at alternate ways, e.g. a physical MX with backhaul to Oracle. That physical MX could be in a co-lo so you get good quality, cheap connectivity into Oracle.

Yeah that's how we are doing it, hub MX with a point to point backhaul into Oracle (Fastconnect), with a site to site VPN into a secondary hub site (with a MX in a separate tenant). It's okay, just not optimal.

Here, we think about making a colocation at Equinix at the address where Oracle provides Fast Connect.

Equinix would provide a cross connection directly to my MX port. It was the most robust solution, but the most expensive. We are still evaluating alternatives (Teridion, Aryaka ...).

We ended up using Megaport for the point to point (actually virtual cross connect/VXC) since Megaport is in more datacenters, so more options. We use multiple VXC's into the various OCI regions.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@DSCP_jpk, I agree with you, Megaport is a good solution for this. As well as being across multiple data centre providers they also offer IX connectivity, and the ability to connect into other IaaS providers too. So, I agree, its a bit of an expensive path just for Oracle cloud, a vMX solution would be cheaper (if it existed), but if you're connecting to multiple clouds, e.g. Azure, AWS, Oracle, GCP, SAP, then it can end up being quite a neat solution. (You also need to look at the data charges too, for instance with Azure and AWS it can be significantly cheaper to pull data over an Express Route/Direct Connect, depending on your monthly usage, than it is to bring it out over the public internet interface - not sure how Oracle stacks up here).

Megaport and Cisco recently released "Managed Virtual Edge" for Viptella only. This would be really great if Meraki was offered. The problem is having to colocate anywhere, and this would eliminate that requirement.

CaioScarpa
Conversationalist

Is there any update about vMX at OCI?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.