ISP-Router-MX64 _ MX take IP from DHCP of the router!

Solved
Dena
Here to help

ISP-Router-MX64 _ MX take IP from DHCP of the router!

Hello,

I have a question that is not clear to me. Related the connection on the network of the MX.

If I connect the MX after a router (the one that face the ISP), where I have configured a DHCP server. And Meraki MX is connected like DHCP client. 

Would this be a problem for the meraki MX to function properly?

Thank you,

Denisa 

1 Accepted Solution
Julian
Getting noticed

hi, is a normal configuration for a meraki mx device, I use in a lot of remote offices, if one day the internet router from the provider fails or you change to another provider yo do not need to configure anything, is sufficient to say to the provider to change the router and all is going to work again.

If you need to do a nat to publish a port from a internal server I recommend you to go to the internet provider router and fix by the mac address the ip assigned to the wan of the mx and put the ip assigned to the mx in dmz.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Denathis works fine, I used to have this setup at my home with an MX64 for 3 years and it never went wrong.

Dena
Here to help

I see. Thank you for sharing your experience.

I have configured a MX this way on a small business, before a month ago. It looks good.

But the meraki representative here at my place advised me to configure the router as bridge and to configure the pppoe on MX.

And I have this feeling like Meraki would not able to filter well the traffic.

Thank you,

Densia

Julian
Getting noticed

hi, is a normal configuration for a meraki mx device, I use in a lot of remote offices, if one day the internet router from the provider fails or you change to another provider yo do not need to configure anything, is sufficient to say to the provider to change the router and all is going to work again.

If you need to do a nat to publish a port from a internal server I recommend you to go to the internet provider router and fix by the mac address the ip assigned to the wan of the mx and put the ip assigned to the mx in dmz.

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Yeah most people use it like that. MX takes a DHCP IP on its WAN port (so DHCP client). And for the LAN it functions as DHCP server.

In my opinion PPPoE is only necessary if you really need the MX to have a public IP on directly on its WAN port.

And what if I created 2 dhcp servers (one for LAN (192.168.1.0/24 and one for Camera 192.168.9.0/24) on MX. Then I have to open a port for NVR on MX, right? 

I am not sure the same port I have to open on the router also but for which IP? For the wan IP of the meraki? Am I correct?

Thank you again,

Denisa

Julian
Getting noticed

"And what if I created 2 dhcp servers (one for LAN (192.168.1.0/24 and one for Camera 192.168.9.0/24) on MX. Then I have to open a port for NVR on MX, right? "

you can create 2 dhcp servers without problem, you must create in the mx two vlan. if you like to open the nvr port to access from internet then you must open the port used  by the nvr to internet.

if you like to open the nvr port to internet first you must configure the internet router from the provider in bridge mode to put the public ip address to the mx or configure it in dmz mode.

One little diagram to clarify a little the configuration:

Open the NVR Port on the firewall/Forwarding rules to internet

/
     /               Configured as DMZ to redirect all ports to the mx
    /               /
  ----         ------- 
| MX |----|router|
  ----          ------
    /                \
   /                  \
 vlan1          vlan2
(dchp1)      (dchp2)

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels