I'm not sure what hub-spoke means in Auto VPN.

Solved
KSM
Here to help

I'm not sure what hub-spoke means in Auto VPN.

Hi`

I have it configured as shown below.

Destination: AWS internal server

The branch MX devices have registered vMX and IDC as hubs.

And on the IDC, we connected the AWS VPN as a backup.

I removed the hub setting for vMX from the branch, leaving only the IDC.

There are no hub settings between the IDC and vMX.

I thought this would automatically fail over to AWS VPN, but it didn't.

It seems that the Hub-Spoke use is just for centralization, and the MXs still share the subnet when the Hub is removed. Is this correct?

KSM_0-1704429102579.png

1 Accepted Solution
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That's correct. Every network in the Auto-VPN can (by default) reach every other network.

The hub and spoke model is designed to limit the overhead of creating a full mesh of tunnels to every MX/Branch.

Spoke to spoke communication (in this case tunneled via the hub) can be prevented using site-to-site firewall rules.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Non meraki vpn subnets cant be reached from mx devices that do not have the non meraki vpn itself.

KSM
Here to help

Hi @ww 

Thank you for your response.
We are configured to use a non-meraki vpn to communicate with aws when vMX is down.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That's correct. Every network in the Auto-VPN can (by default) reach every other network.

The hub and spoke model is designed to limit the overhead of creating a full mesh of tunnels to every MX/Branch.

Spoke to spoke communication (in this case tunneled via the hub) can be prevented using site-to-site firewall rules.

KSM
Here to help

Hi @Brash 

First of all, thank you for your response.

As you say, the hub-spoke feature reduces overhead by preventing VPN connections between spoke<->spoke, and eases firewall policy by forcing them to communicate with the hub, correct?

Thank you!

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

i believe the primary advantage of hub-spoke model is it decreases the overhead on the branch MX's. 

In a full mesh setup, you end up creating a lot of tunnels which at scale has a performance impact. The number of tunnels grows incredibly quickly with additional branches and/or WAN connections.

The advantage of hub-spoke is that the branches will only ever have tunnels to the hub, thereby vastly decreasing the number of required tunnels.

This doc has some good details about it.

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Auto_VPN_Hub_Deployment_Recommenda...

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

Imagine a bicycle wheel, with the hub in the centre, receiving the connection from each independent spoke..

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

Hi @rhbirkelund 

Yes. I understood the topology as you said.

However, I was wondering why devices connected to AUTO VPN automatically share IP bands without adding hubs on the spokes.

Thank you
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.